Choosing AR15 barrel: Rainier Arms vs JP Enterprises

TheBlackMambaXD

So here's the deal, i'm lining up parts for a decent SPR upper build and I'm kinda stuck on what barrel I want to use. I'm looking at 18" Stainless Steel, threaded. I've been looking at Rainier Arms Ultra Match ->

Rainier Arms UltraMatch .223 Wylde Barrel - 18 SPR | Rainier Arms

or the JP Enterprises ->

JP Rifles

I believe the JP is higher quality than the Rainier, but I might not need that extra quality.
Do you guys think the Rainier Arms barrel is good enough for >600yds shooting. Should I go the extra $$ and get a better quality barrel? Thanks in advance.

So here's the deal, i'm lining up parts for a decent SPR upper build and I'm kinda stuck on what barrel I want to use. I'm looking at 18" Stainless Steel, threaded. I've been looking at Rainier Arms Ultra Match ->

Rainier Arms UltraMatch .223 Wylde Barrel - 18 SPR | Rainier Arms

or the JP Enterprises ->

JP Rifles

I believe the JP is higher quality than the Rainier, but I might not need that extra quality.
Do you guys think the Rainier Arms barrel is good enough for >600yds shooting. Should I go the extra $$ and get a better quality barrel? Thanks in advance.
That depends on the size of the target @ 600yds. I'd go straight to a barrel maker that offers AR barrels as neither one of the two you mentioned actually "make" barrels. They buy them from a barrel maker and put their name on them.

I know for a fact that the Rainier barrel is a blank made by Shilen. A quality barrel for sure. I dot know where the JP comes from. A large factor in my decision is having a durable barrel. JP sites 40,000 rds and maintaining accuracy. I certainly know I wont shoot that much, but I do appreciate a durable barrel. The JP is quite a bit more $$, but my rephrased question is, are JP barrels significantly better than a cheaper Rainier?

I've talked with Jon over at Rainier before. He's a standup guy. And when I was talking with him about barrels (this was back in 2005), he told me to hold out because he was going to start making his own barrels (the UltraMatch series), and said that they were going to be right up there with Noveske and Wilson.

Now, I have not bought one yet, but that is what Jon told me... And he seemed extremely knowledgeable, so I believe him. I have thought about ordering one in 6.5 Grendel for my Spikes build that i have still yet to complete. Bolt-actions took priority for a while. I guess now that I have no bolt actions being built, I need to finish that one up. I guess I don't really have much excuses left now... :cool:

If JP says their barrels are good for 40,000rds, they must be Melonite/Black Nitride treated. Me,,, I want to know who made the barrel . As for "how long will it last",,,, that depends on how it's taken care of and how it's fired. Rapid fire generats heat,, heat destroys barrel steel. All barrel makers basically use the same steels. Either 416R stainless or chrome moly in the 4140-4150 range. Barrels are the 'expendable' part of ay firearm, I expect to have to change one out now and then. Actions don't wear out (unless they're abused), triggers don't wear out, and stocks don't wear out,,, barrels will and do. 40,000 rds. is a lot, even for a barrel that's been Melonite/Blk. Nitride treated.

Ok, great. Now I am a little suspect of JPE's 40,000 claim, and I do know that's a LOT.
And surprisingly iv'e had a hard time finding reading material about JPE barrels. Rainier supermatch does seem to have more reviews, etc. I guess I'm kinda throwing options at the wall to see what sticks. I like the Rainier Arms, and I'll probably go with it, but I want to be 100%. I've looked at WOA, but haven't looked super hard. My idea is an 18" SPR style barrel, SS bead blasted or coated, threaded, rifle length gas, and some fluting if i can get it. Thank you for helping. :)

Ok, great. Now I am a little suspect of JPE's 40,000 claim, and I do know that's a LOT.
And surprisingly iv'e had a hard time finding reading material about JPE barrels. Rainier supermatch does seem to have more reviews, etc. I guess I'm kinda throwing options at the wall to see what sticks. I like the Rainier Arms, and I'll probably go with it, but I want to be 100%. I've looked at WOA, but haven't looked super hard. My idea is an 18" SPR style barrel, SS bead blasted or coated, threaded, rifle length gas, and some fluting if i can get it. Thank you for helping. :)

Have you checked Lilja?

.223-8 AR740 20" Threaded - Lilja

You can also check out Centurion Arms. Month LeClair is the owner and active duty SEAL. He builds true to spec MK12's. The barrels are Douglas. The only other company that gets this barrel for commercial purposes is High Caliber.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.