Choosing a new 6.5 Creed

Takem406

I have money in the bank and a budget of a max of $1,500 for the rifles. But I'd prefer to keep it under a grand.

I need this rifles for prairie hunting and to learn how to shoot better. Not necessarily long range, inside 500 but to shoot deer at a 2-300 in a good Montana wind.

Looking at the Savage Desert Tactical at the recombination of a friend who has one along with a lot of high end customs. But can you get a flush fit or a five round mag for hunting? What about the Long Range Hunter? I like the factory stock. I have short arms and being able to adjust it would be nice.

What about the Tikka CTR with the 24" barrel or the Varmint? I really don't like the Tikka stocks.

Hows the Browning X-Bolt Hells Canyon LR?

Also interested in the Bergara Ridge. I like the lines of it and it seems like it would be at home at the range and wouldn't be a pain to hiking coulees with all day. And the price is perfect.

What's the story with new Remingtons? Do they require a lot of work to get them to shoot? I was looking at the new 5-R but I want an out of the box shooter.

On the high end of my budget I like the looks of the Christensen Mesa LR. How are these? The price is pretty high. I see the barrel is only button rifled, is that an issue?

Are there any other "semi customs" in that 1500 range like the Christensen?

Hard to beat an out of the box savage...6.5 savage 10/110 predator 6.5 Creed.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

085A088A-ED4A-46B4-9CD0-C8BB24D0CCBD.jpeg
1D6703C1-379E-49CE-BCCC-69850A89A33F.jpeg This is five shots from my sako a7 range.
The trigger is awesome for factory trigger. magazine sits flush fit to stock

I have money in the bank and a budget of a max of $1,500 for the rifles. But I'd prefer to keep it under a grand.

I need this rifles for prairie hunting and to learn how to shoot better. Not necessarily long range, inside 500 but to shoot deer at a 2-300 in a good Montana wind.

Looking at the Savage Desert Tactical at the recombination of a friend who has one along with a lot of high end customs. But can you get a flush fit or a five round mag for hunting? What about the Long Range Hunter? I like the factory stock. I have short arms and being able to adjust it would be nice.

What about the Tikka CTR with the 24" barrel or the Varmint? I really don't like the Tikka stocks.

Also interested in the Bergara Ridge. I like the lines of it and it seems like it would be at home at the range and wouldn't be a pain to hiking coulees with all day. And the price is perfect.

What's the story with new Remingtons? Do they require a lot of work to get them to shoot? I was looking at the new 5-R but I want an out of the box shooter.

On the high end of my budget I like the looks of the Christensen Mesa LR. How are these? The price is pretty high. I see the barrel is only button rifled, is that an issue?

I would git the bergara. I have two now, one in .300wm, and I just got a B-14 HMR in 6.5 creedmoor. Both of them are sub-moa rifles.

The Remington 5R will be the best out of the box shooter you can buy for under $1,000. It will need an aftermarket trigger, though...But that's ALL newer Remingtons. That's what I would go with.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...+Gen+2+Bolt+6.5+Creedmoor+24+4+1+Synthetic+HS

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/46197/REM+700+MAGPUL+ENHANCED+6.5CM

For out of the box with no modifications, I'd say Savage- their trigger is nicer. If you plan to tinker, Savage is still good but there are more aftermarket options for Remington. That said, the links @MudRunner2005 provided are what I'd look at IF you are a Remington guy.

The 5r Gen 2 is great if you like the HS stock, which I do. I also have some of the Magpul stocks on a couple of my 700s and they are pretty good. Ugly as heck, but cheap and sturdy and a tremendous improvement for accuracy. I bought them before Rem offered them as part of that package. For the price of an HS stock, you can get the 700 hunter from Magpul AND the detachable magazine/bottom metal.

But now they offer the package (which also comes with a threaded 5r barrel), so if you want a mag fed rifle, get the Magpul package...floor plate go 5r Gen 2. Or, get the 5r Gen 2 and buy the Magpul bottom metal/magazine kit for $70 when you buy an aftermarket trigger. Then you'll have the option to go floorplate or mag fed, depending on what mood you're in.

The Remington 5R will be the best out of the box shooter you can buy for under $1,000. It will need an aftermarket trigger, though...But that's ALL newer Remingtons. That's what I would go with.
I've done load development for two milspecs, an hmr and my a7. All were easy sub Moa, but the hmr dragged behind the others in accuracy by just a hair. The a7 will run with any milspec and once you factor in an aftermarket trigger they're pretty close in price

I do like Remmies. I have a VSSF in 22-250 and the wife has a 243 Boone and Crockett. Both shoot really well.

How are the Browning X-Bolts like the Hells Canyon LR?

I do like Remmies. I have a VSSF in 22-250 and the wife has a 243 Boone and Crockett. Both shoot really well.

How are the Browning X-Bolts like the Hells Canyon LR?
Well if it's anything like the rest of the brownings I've shot,they're real shooters. This is a group my x-bolt eclipse hunter(not the new style the old style) chambered in 7mm rem mag shot with just a plain main 3-9x40 redfield scope. I've successfully taken that set up to 1,000 yards. This was with the 162 eld-m. It also shoots the 168 berger vld very well.
20180520_193722.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.