Choosing a crossbow?

specweldtom

Don't know much about bows, and nothing about crossbows.

What are some pro's and con's on compound or simple limbs? Also, some crossbows shoot arrows and the string doesn't ride the rails, and some shoot arrows or bolts and the string does ride the rails. Is one better than the other?

In Texas a licensed hunter can hunt with a crossbow during rifle season, and I'm thinking about it. The rules also allow some handicapped hunters to use crossbows during archery season, but there's no allowance for just being mentally challenged, so I don't qualify............

I hope I haven't offended regular bowhunters, Tom

I am a long time bow hunter and in Texas it has not been legal to use a crossbow for game
animals in the past unless you could get a doctor to give you a disability pass allowing
you to use one.

But now they are legal except in certain counties during bow season and in all counties
during regular rifle season.

I don't know much about crossbows and maybe some of the members that live in states that
have allowed the use of crossbows for a while can help with the type of crossbow that would
be best.

I would think that the compound type would be better simply because they store more
energy and have a longer draw. also the use of a compound type should allow you to use
longer arrows with less spine .

Most of the compound crossbows are centered and do not touch the string like the re curve
ones do and should not wear the string as much.

I would recomend talking to a reputable archery shop and find out as much as possible
before purchasing one.

As I said I have never used one but someday I may have to and it would be nice to know
more about them.

J E CUSTOM

Be sure that the string pushes the bolt (arrow) at least 15 inches on the crossbow you get.

joseph

I spent quite a bit of time over the last year researching crossbows. my mother in law got a disability permit since we all bowhunt, she decided to get a crossbow. I cannot tell you what is the best, but i can tell you what we decided to go with. we shot most of the crossbows out there and ended up using the xcaliber as the one we compared to. We liked the idea of the xcaliber because over all they were very simple and we could change the string in the field, it is easy to do, and the strings are under $20 dollars. In cross bows there isnt much difference in velocity between the xcaliber and the bows with cams so we didnt consider the bows with cams to have an advantage. the xcaliber was just as smooth, just as fast, so it made sense for us. With the scope, the bow shoots very well. my mother in law shot a nice muley doe with it this year and overall she has been happy with it.

one thing i was surprised to learn was that it is really only effective out to 45 yards. atleast with the scope we got, we couldnt get a spot to hold on past 45 yards. in addition, the groups opened up more than i would have liked. when we started this project i thought it would be a huge advantage over my hoyt, but after shooting them alot, in my opinion i think the advantage goes to the regular bow. If you have trouble with drawing, holding etc, then dont get me wrong, they are a great alternative. good luck with your pick, and before you decide, check out the xcaliber product line.

Lamiglas, nothing beats experience. Another experienced hunter (offsite) gave me nearly identical information, including the Excaliber. He has $1500-$2000 crossbows, and still recommends the Excaliber. The local archery shop is closed until next week, so I haven't been unable to shoot any of them, but I've been surprised that a $400 crossbow is considered inexpensive! I'm regrouping, but will make up my mind in the next 2 weeks.

JE and joseph, thanks for jumping in.

Tom

Lamiglas, nothing beats experience. Another experienced hunter (offsite) gave me nearly identical information, including the Excaliber. He has $1500-$2000 crossbows, and still recommends the Excaliber. The local archery shop is closed until next week, so I haven't been unable to shoot any of them, but I've been surprised that a $400 crossbow is considered inexpensive! I'm regrouping, but will make up my mind in the next 2 weeks.

JE and joseph, thanks for jumping in.

Tom

Did you decide what you were going to go with? I have not hunted with a crossbow personally, but my couple of my friends do. They just opened it up here in Maryland. I can talk to them if you haven't already purchased one.

My personal opinion is a good compound bow. Archery is a fun skill to learn and I always take my bow out camping. If I have enough room, I'll bring my stand and set it up and practice. And it is just a good feeling holding the power with your arms versus just pulling a trigger.

Bow hunting is another expensive sport to start. If you need more information on what ya need, give me a yell and I'll try to help you out.

PSE TAC 15 crossbow

I am about to get into crossbow hunting. I met Pete Shepley, president of PSE, at the SHOW Show last month and he showed me the new Tac 15 crossbow. It shoots a 412 arrow at 425 fps. It utilizes an AR-15 lower which means you can have an adjustable stock and match grade trigger if you wish.

This crossbow looks like the ultimate for the long range hunter. I am getting one very soon. I'll be publishing a review article on it some time this spring.

In the next post of this thread there is a video on it.

Last edited:
Fitz, I had boiled it down to 2 options, an Excaliber for around $700, or a Barnett for around $400. It ended up being a choice of features that I needed at a cost I could justify.

Now though, after watching the video that Len put up, I think that I'm just going to have to suck it up and go with the PSE. That thing is phenomenal. I like everything about it and it answered all my questions, plus high speeds and long range with heavy arrows and apparently outstanding accuracy. At $1100 - $1200 though, it craps all over my budget. Even at that cost, I still think they will sell a boatload of them.

Tom

Fitz, I had boiled it down to 2 options, an Excaliber for around $700, or a Barnett for around $400. It ended up being a choice of features that I needed at a cost I could justify.

Now though, after watching the video that Len put up, I think that I'm just going to have to suck it up and go with the PSE. That thing is phenomenal. I like everything about it and it answered all my questions, plus high speeds and long range with heavy arrows and apparently outstanding accuracy. At $1100 - $1200 though, it craps all over my budget. Even at that cost, I still think they will sell a boatload of them.

Tom

That's the way I felt about buying my Destroyer... Bare bones, it was $899. Putting everything together, I'm up to about $1500

What do you do with a compound style xbow if the string breaks or is damaged while hunting-you take it to town and they will get to it some time that week. With the Excalibur you just put your spare string on and continue hunting. But then I am an Excalibur fan. I am disabled and our state issue's xbow permits for archery season. During rifle season you can deer or bear hunt with a xbow with a rifle lic. Inelaborate is sometimes easier. gun)lightbulb

tenwalker, without knowing anything about crossbows, I had settled on the simplicity of the recurve bow, and after doing some research and posting this thread, I hadn't changed my mind. The PSE Tac 10 (more compact than the Tac 15) is now what I would buy though, complexity and all, because of the performance and features, but the high price is a big stumbling block. I'm a rifle hunter by choice, and crossbow hunting is just something I want to try. The jury's still out on paying that much just to scratch an itch.

Good hunting, Tom

I am just glad you chose to hunt with a crossbow. I have found that some (and I do not mean all) bow hunters do not like crossbow hunters, at least where I live. They kind of look down thier noses at me. I will usually let them go on and give there little talk on how crossbow hunting is nothing like hunting with a real bow. Then I tell them that I think it is real nice how, the state, lets disabled people like me have a permit to hunt with a crossbow. That usually takes the wind out of thier sails And by all means I do not mean all bow hunters-just a few. I hope you are enjoying your bow and good hunting.

im a hunter from southern ontario and our bowseason allows us to use a crossbow and almost every bow hunter i know uses a crossbow and more specificly a excalibur i have been using a excalibur with crimson talon broad heads and i shot a buck at 40 yards and and it didnt run 20 yards i would like to take it moose hunting but i find the 338 win mag does a nicer job lol. but seriously i would go for the excalibur anyday and im proud to say that excalibur crossbows are made about a hour away from were i live.
flags_of_Canada.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.