Choose a barrel:

I was curious if there was any density advantage in SS over carbon steel. Normally SS is just slightly denser than carbon steel, but in looking specifically at 416 SS and 4140 Carbon Steel the denser metal is 4140, by .002gm/in^3, so there is a difference but it has no practical impact.

FWIW, by an admittedly rough CAD model, fluting (25in exposed length [i.e. less the tennon] X 1.25 cylinder, .224 Bore, 6 flutes @ Ø.375 X .25 DP) is a ~13% increase is surface area and a mass reduction of ~19% That's pretty much inline with what I recall of my previous looks are fluting. Doesn't seem worth it to me, but might be for others.

To mimic all the other comments here, I also own a carbon barrel and it also walks after about 3 shots I'm sure from heating. Remember, carbon has a pencil thin barrel under that carbon and the carbon sheath is an insulator holding the temp inside that's why it "feels" cool to the touch. Definitely go for steel for high volume shooting.

Remember, you can always cut it off later on if the weight is too much. Twist and THROAT for bullets you want to shoot.

Remember that long throat and short bullets is a disaster, plan for the long haul.

Good luck!

Our structured barrel is specifically designed for long extended shot strings. We agree with the earlier post of 13% increase in surface area (drawings and calcs available) and minimum weight reduction. For us surface area is well north of 300% greater and 50+% stiffer weight for weight. Our testing is based on 50 rounds. 10 x 5 shot groups each on their own point. Tracking drift, group size and SD drift. Yes we are consistently superior to standard heavy barrels in all categories.Yes Barrel life is higher given the same conditions. As noted in an earlier post our .375 CheTac's runs cooler than most .308's. We were at a Sniper reunion recently and the ambient soak value was 110def F. After 30+ rounds at ranges to 1800yds our 6xc had risen to 118deg.
Third party testing confirms these facts.
Just adding to the mix...
TACOMHQ

I'm probably in the minority, but if we are talking AR platform and I was going to shoot high volume I would look for a barrel that didn't cost a lot so I could replace it as need be. I just built a rifle using a Ballistic Advantage 16" mid-length 5.56 1:7 twist Hanson barrel and I'm consistently getting 3/4 MOA to 1/2 MOA with depending on the ammo. I am sure you could squeeze more out of it with handloads. If you want a little longer barrel, they make it in 17.7" and 18" lengths. Although I've never used one I hear good things with their 0.223 Wylde 1:8 twist Stainless barrels as well. Just a thought.

.....Our structured barrel is specifically designed for long extended shot strings. We agree with the earlier post of 13% increase in surface area (drawings and calcs available) and minimum weight reduction. For us surface area is well north of 300% greater and 50+% stiffer weight for weight. Our testing is based on 50 rounds. 10 x 5 shot groups each on their own point. Tracking drift, group size and SD drift. Yes we are consistently superior to standard heavy barrels in all categories.Yes Barrel life is higher given the same conditions. As noted in an earlier post our .375 CheTac's runs cooler than most .308's. We were at a Sniper reunion recently and the ambient soak value was 110def F. After 30+ rounds at ranges to 1800yds our 6xc had risen to 118deg.Third party testing confirms these facts. Just adding to the mix...TACOMHQ.......

Tried to look further into this, do have a link, or site?

.....I'm probably in the minority, but if we are talking AR platform and I was going to shoot high volume I would look for a barrel that didn't cost a lot so I could replace it as need be.....

Not an AR. Dropping some hours at work, and hoping to spend some 500 round days shooting sage rates next spring.
I have a Tikka CTR that has functioned, and held up well. 1-8" twist-20" barrel. Likely no heavyweight bullets.

I have several proof carbons. I shot a prs match with my 6.5-284 the first time. I switched to 6mm and steel after that. Ha ha. The proof carbon is an awesome barrel but for what you are doing it'd be steel. Proof makes a nice steel barrel too.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.