Choice in Knives ?

I carry a Havalon Piranta and a Buck Mini Alpha Hunter (S30V). The flexy blade on the Havalon gets a little too active at times for my taste, that's when I use the Buck. For predator hunting the Buck stays home.

I know this thread is old, but I just ordered one of the orange Havalon Piranta's to compliment my folding and straight blade buck knives. In 20 years of hunting this is the first knife I've ever bought that wasn't a buck. I'm looking forward to seeeing how it performs.

IMO, Buck Knives are over rated and over priced. The original Buck was a great knife made from quality steel but the new ones ride on the old reputation, not on quality versus price.

I'll take a Gerber over a Buck anyday.

IMO, Buck Knives are over rated and over priced. The original Buck was a great knife made from quality steel but the new ones ride on the old reputation, not on quality versus price.

I'll take a Gerber over a Buck anyday.

I like Buck's personally. I've only had 4 knives for hunting my entire life, all have been bucks and I still have all of them, but 2 are so well worn I don't use them any more. All but one were gifts though.

To each their own, but I've always been happy with the quality of Buck knives.

I just picked up a buck crosslock cabelas exclusive off ebay with the S30V blade. I hope to get to use it this fall, seems to be well built and the S30V is a great steel. It is a nice knife/small saw/guthook combo ar 3.8oz without the sheath.

I use 2 or 3 knives. I think ones a cold steel. When ones dull I reach for another. Hair dulls them all as well as bone and dirt. I use a short diamond sharpener that works O.K. Hew away with a hatchet... blood, guts, get 'er done. You don't ask your knife it's name when your opening a can of beans with it

I use on all trips and heavy enough for most jobs out hiking.

I use both when hiking both razor sharp

Attachments

• IMG_1303.jpg
    IMG_1303.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_1304.jpg
    IMG_1304.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 98
I use 2 or 3 knives. I think ones a cold steel. When ones dull I reach for another. Hair dulls them all as well as bone and dirt. I use a short diamond sharpener that works O.K. Hew away with a hatchet... blood, guts, get 'er done. You don't ask your knife it's name when your opening a can of beans with it

I never eat beans in camp. To much afterthought.......:Dor afterburner or whatever.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.