Choate tactical vs. Hogue

Dan H

Getting ready to order a new stock for my Savage 110 7mm rem mag. My budget wont allow for a McMillan or anything like that. I found a Choate tactical for $199, and a Hogue overmold for $213. Both are full bed block and channeled for heavy barrel. Here are the links:

Choate Tactical Savage Stock - Bedded, Free Floated, with Adjustable Spacer System

Hogue Savage 110, 112 & 116 Top Loading Box Mag Long Action Heavy Barrel Full Bed Block Stock Ghillie Tan 11917 FREE S&H 11917. Hogue Gun Grips & Stocks.

Which one would you choose? This is for a hunting rifle. Thanks

Can't speak to the Hogue, but the Choate is HEAVY .... OMG heavy.
I have a 6BR tactical rifle mounted on one and, while it is very well made and a very stable platform, I wouldn't want to carry it very far (rifle total weight 18#)
I'd suggest you consider how much weight you want to carry around - and for how long you'll need to carry it.

Full disclosure: l live close to Hogue, know people that work there, etc...

The Hogue is on the try it list, the Choate is not.

Why? The Choates I've touched don't suit me but we are all different.

I would want to go to a local shop and handle each if possible.I have a Hogue on a Weatherby Vanguard and I'm happy with it,but it is heavier than I prefer. Accurate Shooter has a review in the new Choate stock,and it has been used by a top tier Brittish shooter who does very well with it. For strictly field use,the Hogue has a more traditional appearance,and that may matter to you.The Choate,with it's adjustability may be better suited to target shooting.

I have hogue's on my 7-08, 270 wsm & 300 win mag. I love them for hunting purposes. Easy to grip, I even painted 2 of them with crylon. I have to touch them up each year but it was cheap. The full al. blocking seams to do just fine. I shoot .5 to .8 with them all. Here are pictures of the two I painted.

Attachments

• DSCF0064.jpg
    DSCF0064.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 333
  • DSCF0020.jpg
    DSCF0020.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 1,160
Can't speak to the Hogue, but the Choate is HEAVY .... OMG heavy.
I have a 6BR tactical rifle mounted on one and, while it is very well made and a very stable platform, I wouldn't want to carry it very far (rifle total weight 18#)
I'd suggest you consider how much weight you want to carry around - and for how long you'll need to carry it.

76 OZ or 4.75 LBS.

Hey Feenix-

I have both. I used the Choate on a savage 25-06 AI BUILD. it is heavt,but it is also solid. A little known cool feature is the sling swivels mounted on both sides of the stock. There is still a bipod connector underneath, but the sling swivels onthe side make the gun ride flat against your back. It is the most confortable gun i have on a carry strap., even with the weight. With a 7mm mag, you wont need a brake.

Hey Feenix-

I have both. I used the Choate on a savage 25-06 AI BUILD. it is heavt,but it is also solid. A little known cool feature is the sling swivels mounted on both sides of the stock. There is still a bipod connector underneath, but the sling swivels onthe side make the gun ride flat against your back. It is the most confortable gun i have on a carry strap., even with the weight. With a 7mm mag, you wont need a brake.

Yep, still in my wish list despite the weight. :cool:

Cheers!

I have 3 of the Choate tactical stocks,and hunt with everyone of them. I don't have any lightweight rifle's,so the weight of the stock has never hampered me in any way.
A quality rifle sling will do wonders when having to carry a heavier rifle around for a long ways.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I went with the Choate. It should be here by Friday. Timney trigger is on the way too. Thanks again

Hey Feenix-

How do you think it will work on a 7mm STW?

D2B4AA39-13FF-4E5A-B60F-DF4D96975312.jpeg
I will definitely buy more Choate tacticals. This is a Savage LRH in 6.5 Creed, if I was going to hunt with this rifle I would have kept the accustock. The Choate is heavy but stabile.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.