Choate Sniper Stock: Functionality?

iSnipe

Has anyone used this stock and if so, how do you or did you... or didn't
like about it?

To me it appears to be a functional/practical stock for hunting. "Sniper"
imprinted on it seems a little cheesy, but I got over that. LOL! It is composite,
lightweight and is already a woods-tone color... and I can still color it without
worrying about wrecking a nice wooden stock if I wanted to.

No wait, I assumed it was lightweight, but it's kinda heavy isn't it?

What do y'all think of this stock for actual shooting? I hardly know anything
about it, so just want to hear what you guys have to say, etc. "Pillar bedded"
... "Free floating" barrel... all seem good so far.

Thanks,

iSnipe

Last edited:
I have one and won't get another one. They are very heavy. The back end of the stock is parallel to the bore which makes it very tough to get on target if you are using a rear bag, and it's even harder if the shot is not level. Then you actually get the bag under it make the shot and the rifle is in such a poor position on the bag that your now way off target, it makes it very difficult to spot your own shots. If you only shoot off of a bench it would be great, but anything else and forget it.

well my experience is the exact opposite of the one above. I have one and love it and would buy another one without question. I put it on my savage 300 wsm factory gun and it shoots great and feels great. Easy to carry feels good in my hands and easy to control. But of coarse this is just my opinion. :D

I'm in the middle with it. It's definitely not a carry in the woods stock. It is quite heavy, but due to the weight it reduces recoil. You can add weight if you want and I like the rail on the forearm. The forearm for a standard barrel in very sturdy, but when you screw on a heavy contour long barrel it gets a little unsteady. The aluminum bedding block is top notch and helps with accuracy. For the price it is very utilitarian and serves its purpose. It comes with an adjustable rear foot screw that sort of eliminates the need for a rear bag, but gets in the way should you decide to use a bag. I'm hoping Savageshtr will catch this thread and give an opinion. He owns one right now and the one I have shot. I also like the side mounted swiveling sling studs. It carries better in my opinion and you don't worry about the bi-pod digging into you head back or shoulder when caring the rifle. For added features and some functional comfort, you will need to go with something different like a B&C, McMillian, Manners, or any of the various wood laminates. There are other stock makers, those just a few that are very functional.

Tank

I had one and it only stayed on my rifle about 3 months. It is HEAVY!! Using it off of a rear bag is difficult to say the least. Every time I tried to shoot it, I felt like I was in a wrestling match. I went back to my Boyd's thumbhole and am much happier.

I did happen to read several posts I found using the search too. That and seeing the replies here, you guys made it clear... as mud. LOL! At first I thought it may be lightweight, then I thought about several things I never considered before, due to your posts and am now more of the opinion it's something I may not look into any more! But I'm still not sure.

I do appreciate the replies though. They do help in my over-all opinion and am still on the fence about this stock because I see used ones for sale whenever I go look for some. Maybe there's a reason for that? :cool:

Thanks y'all for the posts. Appreciate it.

iSnipe

As far as the rear adj. foot thing goes wait till your shooting up hill in a prone position at a runing coyote and the butt won't go down any more, at that point you are left with picking up the forend of your rifle and then you might as well have left your bipod at home. That rear adj. piece lasted five minutes and was in the can. Again might and that is a big might work off a bench.

i had one for a while and overall thought it was a pretty good value for the money. very stiff, bedding block. yeah it's a little heavy, most tactical rigs are. i too would rather have a tappered portion to sit on the rear bag. my only real complaint with it. i would recommend you skim bed the receiver in the block, i dought most are a perfect fit.

Take a look at the choate "tactical/varmint" stock. More versatile for varmint and long range stuff.

Take a look at the choate "tactical/varmint" stock. More versatile for varmint and long range stuff.

Pretty sure the butt end of the stocks are the same. Just the fore end is different. And the butt end is what I didn't like about the stock.

Pretty sure the butt end of the stocks are the same. Just the fore end is different. And the butt end is what I didn't like about the stock.

stocks are very different, the tactical is very user friendly for varmint shooters.

6mmBRKriegerbarrelHarrelbrakeHarrisBipodChoatesstockIORscopeIORringsBTcoversRem700BDLSA16poundsastestedsmall.jpg

6mmBRgroup.jpg

$180 Rem700BDL 22-250 with shot out throat at gun show
$40 Choate Ultimate Sniper stock with Lead filled grip at gun show
$100 Krieger 6mmBRX 8" twist barrel with shot out throat with Harrel brake off 6mmBR website
$15 B-Square bubble level new from SWFA
$40 EGW one piece mount new from SWFA
----------------
$375 + scope

I built the 6mmBR in March 2010, took it to the range once and shot 5 groups.

Someone put Lead in the pistol grip.
That makes this rifle heavy.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.