CheyTac brass

ELR Researcher

I recently received an inquiry from an acquaintance in the UK about the current absence of 375 and 408 CT brass from the Captech/Jamison catalog (online offerings). In confirming the absence of those cases, I noted a semi-substitute, the 505 Gibbs "Basic", with a description, "This is a basic case for forming into various wildcat and other cartridge cases. The .505 Gibbs Basic can be formed into: .338 Xtreme, .408 CheyTac, .505 Rimless NE, .338 Allen Magnum, among other similar cases." - see Captech International

My acquaintance was concern about the appropriateness of the "Basic" for the CT application since the online specs for the 505 Gibbs "Basic" and the 505 Gibbs (African hunter "version") are identical. [The CT case has had a thicker wall and higher level hardening in the base area since from the beginning - when the original Cheytac crew developed it.]

I contacted Captech and spoke with the gentleman that came over from Jamison, their Production Manager, Chris Freeman. I inquired about both the absence of the 375 and 408 CT brass offerings and the appropriateness of the "Basic" to support CT pressure levels.

I was advised that the shortage of their CT brass offerings is "TEMPORARY". They are concentrating on refilling inventory levels of products that have much higher demand/turnover.When asked, "When will you be back in production of the CT offerings?", I was told that, based on current production schedules to replenish other cartridges, the CTs should be back in late '15.

In regard the appropriateness of the "Basic" for CT and CT-based applications, I was advised that the current 505 Gibbs offering (African hunter cartridge version) was actually developed FROM, and is being produced using, the CT specs. So...long story shortened, yes, CT pressure levels are supported in the "Basic" offering.BTW, since there is no pic of the "Basic" offering, I was told that it is straight wall (no shoulder), rim trimmed to the CT dimensions, and has NO head stamp.

I then called I. Q. Metals (the primary source in the US of Bertram 375 and 408 CT brass, as marketed by HSM and used in their CT ammo offerings) and asked about their expectations in regards availability of their CT offerings (375 and 408). They advised that supply is currently good with more on the way.I also asked about what they list as, "375 CheyTac Brass - Malformed".This is brass, noted at about 20K pieces, where the shoulder area does not meet spec and requires fire forming.That noted, the price differential is huge, $40.60/20 vs $55.16/20.Very tempting.

I also asked about what they list as, "375 CheyTac Brass - Malformed".This is brass, noted at about 20K pieces, where the shoulder area does not meet spec and requires fire forming.That noted, the price differential is huge, $40.60/20 vs $55.16/20.Very tempting.

More than tempting...

Clarification: Are these "Malformed" cases are 408 CT, right?

If so how can they be ordered? I'm running a 375 Allen Magnum and have to fire form anyway.... Plus the Bertram stuff is non-existent.

royinidaho:

The malformed (incompletely formed at the shoulder) cases are 375 CT, not 408 CT.

I suggest you call IQ Metals (in Victor, MT "406-381-9730 Official hours of operation are 9AM to 5PM (mountain time) -- Monday thru Friday") and inquire about the appropriateness of using them to fire form into 375 AM. I think you will be rewarded.

Unclear about your comment, " Plus the Bertram stuff is non-existent. "

The "NON-malformed" are Bertram and are shown IN STOCK at $275.80 per 100 - see Bertram 375 CheyTac brass

The "malformed" 375 CT are also Bertram and are also shown IN STOCK but at only at $203 per 100 - see Bertram 375 CheyTac brass

I suspect you were expecting to see availability info immediately. Not so. You need to click the Quantity dropdown and then select a quantity (20 or 100 pcs). Then availability will show right below the extended price. Both currently show (approx. 5 PM Pacific on 11/28) as "unlimited in stock".

Enjoy!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.