Cheytac 375/ .408 or barret 416

johnhhernan

I'm researching rifles that are non-50 cal but yet bigger than a .338LM, that is just intriguing to me at this point of my life.

Who in this forum shoots in the upper-middle class of the big guns.

1. I know it is expensive but is it worth it?

2. Are they accurate if so which one have you guys found to be the most accurate?

3. Or do does anybody have ideas on how to make less expensive rifle that is bigger than a .338LM and <than a .50 cal

Thanks for input if you have any.

I have been shooting a 338-378 wby. for quite a while! It realy bucks the wind nice. The thing I see with it is not fast enough. It seem to go through the bear and deer and not opening up enough. That is the 300 matchking. I switched to the cutting edge 252 and it works great. The match king is 3080 fps and the CE is running 3200. I built a 338-408 a few years ago and it is a great shooter with all the HP you need 300matchking at 3250 they don,t even take a step if hit well! Of course a little more $ but it is what it is! My Smith also does 350 and 375 Don,t know if I wiil be changing though! Got to remember without speed your back to square one!

I have been researching this for a year now...and came to the conclusion...that the .375 Cheytac is the king in all categories except energy....350 gr bullets w a B.C. over .900 going 3100-3200 fps will do what you most likely want....it has hit targets at over 3500 yards...so along as you are not trying to kill elephants past 2 miles..it should fill your needs. I have got dies,bullets, cases of Retumbo,new press, and TAC408 action .waiting on barrel. hope this helps Ed

I have been researching this for a year now...and came to the conclusion...that the .375 Cheytac is the king in all categories except energy....350 gr bullets w a B.C. over .900 going 3100-3200 fps will do what you most likely want....it has hit targets at over 3500 yards...so along as you are not trying to kill elephants past 2 miles..it should fill your needs. I have got dies,bullets, cases of Retumbo,new press, and TAC408 action .waiting on barrel. hope this helps Ed

I agree with him, for the most part....

However when I spoke wit the Cheytac guys at SHOT I was told that they brought the speed down to 2860 (I can't remember the exact number but I am within 25 fps.) fps due to the fact that they were having problems with the extra pressure on barres, brass, etc.... When they backed it off they still got outstanding results.

I still think that round (375) is unreal.... However, if you have a Lapua with a 28 or 29 in. barrel and shoot the 300gr. Berger with an 818 BC you would not be that far behind and ammo would be MUCH more available and cheaper.
JMO

I am using the TAC408 action from Stiller...BAT makes an action for it also..FYI Cheytac rifle's are built using a 29" barrel...I think it will benefit from a 32" or longer barrel to burn that 130 plus grains of powder....when you are trying to shoot past 2500 yard you need every fps and B.C. you can get.

I just finished a 375 Cheytac build here are specs.
Stiller tac 408 action
30" McGowan 1-10 barrel
Titanium Slab break
Manners T2a tactical fill stock with adjustable cheek piece
jewell bottom safety trigger
Nightforce nxs 5.5-22x56mm moarT
40 moa stiller rail
gun comes in at 14#14oz with bipod making it Idaho legal (under 16#)

Gun shoots 1/2 moa with 136gr of Retumbo and 350gr Cutting Edge Bullets at 3150fps

Attachments

• 20141026_163237.jpg
    20141026_163237.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 60
I have been shooting a 338-378 wby. for quite a while! It realy bucks the wind nice. The thing I see with it is not fast enough. It seem to go through the bear and deer and not opening up enough. That is the 300 matchking. I switched to the cutting edge 252 and it works great. The match king is 3080 fps and the CE is running 3200. I built a 338-408 a few years ago and it is a great shooter with all the HP you need 300matchking at 3250 they don,t even take a step if hit well! Of course a little more $ but it is what it is! My Smith also does 350 and 375 Don,t know if I wiil be changing though! Got to remember without speed your back to square one!

Would you mind sharing your load and your barrel legnth on the 338x378
thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.