Cheek Weld

cstilt

I just finished working on a Savage 243 I want to use to shoot paper, coyotes and varmints with. Got it home, bedded it and mounted a Nikon scope on a 20MOA base. Do I need a 20moa base? Not really, but if I can get better at distance shooting it could be nice to have.

Now my problem. With the not great synthetic stock that came on the rifle and the elevated base, I can't get a cheek weld worth a darn. I was using my laser bore sighter and could tell that no way in heck could I be consistent. Any suggestions on what to do? So far I've found a few things but wanted advice from the gurus on here.

Things I've found:
Beartooth Comb Raising Kit : Cabela's

Cabela's -- Accu-Riser Cheek Pad - Strap-on

Thanks,
Chris

Just finished installing it on my 338_300 RUM.

2r5vsbc.jpg

View My Video

Last edited:
Eaglet, that's a nice looking rig you have there. Hopefully one day I may be able to graduate to something that nice.
Have you had a chance to shoot your rifle with the new cheek piece on it?

After looking at all the options I'll probably end up going with the Karsten cheek piece. It looks like it should be the best option for this particular rifle. I may try the beartooth one on my Browning. I don't want to drill it's wood stock. It's going to stay basically unchanged.

Thanks guys,
Chris

cstilt,

I hear you about them beautiful wooden stocks; I couldn't drill it either.

My buddy geargrinder bought everything and put it together for me. The action is an older Savage 7MM Mag and Shawn (geargrinder) restored it for me and did all the work. The only thing I did was installing the cheek weld. Shawn did an awesome job. It's been shot 25 times and it looks promising. I have not shot it with the cheek weld but without it and shooting from the tail gate and bipod it produced the... picture below...

2ec15hj.jpg

Eaglet, that's a nice looking rig you have there. Hopefully one day I may be able to graduate to something that nice.

Sorry for wandering off topic but building on a Savage is a cheap way to go.

I have less than a thousand dollars in mine. Mine has the bolt on the correct side.

S8001327.jpg

I just finished working on a Savage 243 I want to use to shoot paper, coyotes and varmints with. Got it home, bedded it and mounted a Nikon scope on a 20MOA base. Do I need a 20moa base? Not really, but if I can get better at distance shooting it could be nice to have.

Now my problem. With the not great synthetic stock that came on the rifle and the elevated base, I can't get a cheek weld worth a darn. I was using my laser bore sighter and could tell that no way in heck could I be consistent. Any suggestions on what to do? So far I've found a few things but wanted advice from the gurus on here.

Things I've found:
Beartooth Comb Raising Kit : Cabela's

Cabela's -- Accu-Riser Cheek Pad - Strap-on

Thanks,
Chris

You'd be better off getting a better stock first. You'll loose more accuracy with the flexy stock than poor cheek weld.

Another good cheek weld device would be an Eagle Stock Pack with some cut up mouse pad underneath.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.