Cheek Weld - Beartooth vs Blackhawk vs Triad vs DIY

CleanShot

Hello

I'm just comparing options to raise my stock a bit so I get a better check weld on my rifles. Anyone have any experience between Beartooth vs Blackhawk vs Triad vs DIY solutions?

Thanks
Sam

I just got a Triad a few weeks ago and I have used it on two outings. So far I like it a lot because I used to anchor where my teeth came together and now I am on my cheek. I had to make a few adjustments with the velcro strips once I got into the field and made it comfortable to use. Only thing I am not sure on yet is if there will be any effect on up hill shots yet.

Biggest problem it seems with the triad is availability. Black, to match my rifle, is out of stock and even if I get over that the shims are out of stock as well.

The shims come with the pad, and the ones that come with it are plenty. As for availability do the email notification, and be ready to jump on it when it does become available.

So many options. For a quick fix I cut wooden dowels and shaped to fit the top of my stock, taped them down, covered with a beartooth cover.

I am not a big fan of the kydex style so I build my own or use loggerhead inserts.

Attachments

• Cheek 9.jpg
    Cheek 9.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 82
I will probably finish a loggerhead install tonight if I don't get any distractions. I like their product since it is a 1 bolt adjustment instead of 2 like mine and mine takes a lot of milling fitting. Both seem to turn out fine.

Here is one I finished with my set up:

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 104
So many options. For a quick fix I cut wooden dowels and shaped to fit the top of my stock, taped them down, covered with a beartooth cover.

I am not a big fan of the kydex style so I build my own or use loggerhead inserts.

The paradox of choice I guess. I considered the wooden dowel technique a la this video [ame]https://youtu.be/COoXVpGfXQE[/ame] but I didn't consider using the beartooth sleeve to hold it down. Another interesting idea.

I thought that these logger head inserts might be overkill for some of my cheapie rifles but they seem very reasonably priced. Are they difficult to install?

I will probably finish a loggerhead install tonight if I don't get any distractions. I like their product since it is a 1 bolt adjustment instead of 2 like mine and mine takes a lot of milling fitting. Both seem to turn out fine.

Here is one I finished with my set up:

Let me know how it works out and how much effort it is please. Thanks!

Just got home. Will head out to work on it now. The install is not that hard, but it is time consuming. Loggerhead is designed for a wider top portion and you need to cut deeper into the stock than I did. So as a result I couldn't used the entire unit. I used the rods without the top mount and epoxied them into the top portion of the stock. I then built a small frame for the inside of the hollow stock and used spray foam to fill the voids mostly. The frame is a piece of flat aluminum from Lowes and bent to the shape I needed to frame in the loggerhead. All that really did was give my epoxy a place to go and hold. Solid stocks don't require all this extra stuff.

Anyway, it is not a horrible project but it takes time and some anger management. I will snap a couple of pictures and post later or tomorrow as time permits.

I have attached a picture of 2 rifles with dowels and covered. The other pictures are of the insert I made. I will post a picture next of the loggerhead.

Attachments

• Dowel.JPG
    Dowel.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 91
  • Cheek 4.jpg
    Cheek 4.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 92
  • Cheek 5.jpg
    Cheek 5.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 85
  • Cheek 6.jpg
    Cheek 6.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 102
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.