Checkering Question

Red Delicious

I'm working on a new stock for my project rifle and I'm attempting to learn Checkering. My hat's off to those of you that do this, what a skill set. I have Dem-Bart tools an even though I use the to-the-right and to-the-left tools I'm still having trouble keeping the lines parallel. I've watched several YouTube videos and read some articles and post. I'm pretty comfortable laying out the border lines and the master lines but sooner (usually) or later the lines get off.

Between the tools and time spent I could have had someone do the job for about half of what I've got into it and I haven't even touched the stock yet. I'm still practicing on scrap Walnut and old stocks. I'd like to pass the gun on to one of my sons and have something dad did look better then Beaver chew.

Can anyone give me some tips on what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks

Craig O.

The reason I recommended the Full view tool was to help is seeing the lines above and below the cutter. there is also a cutter that has a smooth blade and a cutting blade that helps guide the tool in the last line cut while marking the next.

Don't give up, it takes a while to master checkering. Practice, Practice, practice.

J E CUSTOM

I have the cutters with one smooth side and one cutter side but I must get the angle off or something. Sometimes even with those one end of the new cut is closer to the old line then the other end is and then things get out of whack. once that happens I have a heck of a time getting things lined back up.

Maybe the handle that allows me to see the cutter better will help. Could be that I'm left handed but these tools don't seem to be real hand oriented.

I will endeavor to preserver.

Thanks again.

Craig O.

I have the cutters with one smooth side and one cutter side but I must get the angle off or something. Sometimes even with those one end of the new cut is closer to the old line then the other end is and then things get out of whack. once that happens I have a heck of a time getting things lined back up.

Maybe the handle that allows me to see the cutter better will help. Could be that I'm left handed but these tools don't seem to be real hand oriented.

I will endeavor to preserver.

Thanks again.

Craig O.

Most newcomers to checkering, try to cut to fast/much. It is a slow process and takes practice
to get the hang of it.

Hear is a video that may help =
MidwayUSA - Video Library

(Go to the 16th video in the series on checkering)

You almost have to look at each line as a finished product before starting the next. go slow and it will take shape.

Good luck

J E CUSTOM

I found the 3 edge spacer to help immensely with keeping parallel lines. Just go slow and give your eyes plenty of rest. I used it lightly to scribe all the line marks and then followed up with a singe to even the depths out. For going around curved edges, I used a laser line tool.
Dem-Bart Checkering Cutter 3-Edge Spacer 18 Lines per Inch

Another little tip I discovered is to practice with the same wood as your stock.

You need to learn to 'lock' your wrist, elbow and shoulder to be able to maintain a straight line. Stright movements make straight lines. I take it you are using a checkering cradle, aren't you?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts