Check this out people

DC...im waiting for make mine's answer on that one too.

An AR-15 at 100yds or less doesnt qualify as a sniper. He was hitting center of mass where we could easily center a nipple.

Sniping is much more noble than taking pot shots out of the back of a caprice--they were just dumbasses! no sniping skill there.

Sasquatch - nice to have you

hey magnum - is it the lazy slobs that take hundreds of rounds and hours each year to practice for a long range shot and tune their rifles--or is it the guy with a 300 MAGNUM that only shoots to check his scope the week before huntin season, and blows the **** out of a deer at 25 steps? or flinches b/c of the recoil and shoots it in the ***?

whattya think there MAG??

you come over here to call names, thank you for that--we just come over there to combat childish **** and present facts.

waiting...
JB

c'mon dave i was really looking foreward to a response!!
frown.gif

JB1000br

He'll probably be back as someother name.... If I recall correctly this is his second name already.... I guess he (had to pick a gender) lives for this type of entertainment.

[ 08-24-2003: Message edited by: Dave King ]

I would like to offer my opinion as this debate has come to this board.
My involvement in long range hunting has come about partly as a result of my deep compassion for animals.
All animals die,but we have some control over how and when.If they are not killed by a hunters bullet they will most llikely die due to disease.I have been sick before, I would not like to die that way.
I believe that a bullet from a fairly long distance is the absolutely most humane way to kill an animal that there is.
In my area almost all shots are taken within 50 yards or so. And a lot of animals are lost. My friend lost 2 last year. He is very ethical and a very good shot. But when he shot each of these two deer he was about 30 yards away. Whe the gun went off so very close the deer realized they were under attack and they bolted even though they were already dead.Pure adreneline.
The deer ran into dense underbrush and were nearly invisible. He found each of these deer a couple of days later.

What I do is intentionally search for the longer shots with a good rifle. Last year I killed a deer a 300 yards near the swamp. 300 yards is very far for around here.Deer never get shot at from that distance around here. The deer never took a single step. He had no idea anybody was around or shooting at him.And when I went to retrieve him the other deer which had been with him were still there.Even after the buck dropped they still didn't know I was shooting at them.
One second that buck was going about his business enjoying the day,the next second he was gone.No pain, no suffering ,no fear.
If there is a more humane ethical way of killing a deer I don't know what it is.
I have watched a number of people die of old age,burried one of them with my own hands,most of them would prefer to die like the deer.

Mr. frank4570,
Ditto to what DC said! You are one of the golden ones on this site, and you have inspired me to work harder in this wonderful subject called: LONG RANGE HUNTING
grin.gif
grin.gif

hey Sasquatch did you read "Dear Mom a Sniper's Vietnam"??? Mr. Mahwinney is a very admirable man!!! He actually tried to fade into the woodwork when he came home but I guess Joseph Ward writing that book put the dampener on that. People don't realize that he had the highest number of confirmed kills and that he did it in less time than all the others. Oh by the way that guy that compares long range hunter to wanna be snipers is lost. He doesn't realize that a sniper's main task when shooting is to get as close as possible to raise the chances of a kill without getting caught. They don't realize that the average kill by a sniper in Vietnam was something like 300-400 yds and that the hit to shot ratio was around 50%. Practicing field craft and getting closer is exactly what a sniper does so the short range guys are more like snipers than anyone else. Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I don't believe that I am!!! By the way some if not most long range hunters bow hunt also so this means that they get close in some times also. The best of both worlds wouldn't you agree? Close in adrenaline during bow and long range adrenaline during gun!!!!

Hell, I wasn't going to say a thing on this but as I went back over things
mad.gif

Well a Man has got to know his LIMITATIONS and aBOY has to LEARN.

When I first heard about people shooting at these extended ranges I wondered how? Then I came to learn and saw the TIME and EFFORT that was put in. Its like anything else if you take the time to learn you will. Now if you try to do it on your own without any help of course you might get LUCKY but, more than not YOU WILL FAIL!!!!!!!!!!!

I remember the kid came on gunho and wanted to learn but, not the time to do it. I don't feel sorry for him now.

To everyone else I'm sorry for being this out spoken on this but Hell some of us have to be MEN and most have shown that they are by stepping up. Not just with experience but with the patience to TEACH us that want to LEARN.

First off I've never met you but did try to encourage you to give it a try. You said you did and it didn't work out no big deal. It happens.

BUT YOU HAD TO GET THE LAST WORD IN BY CALLING DAVE KING OUT
mad.gif
rolleyes.gif
I've never met him either but he has show RESPECT for those that wanted to learn and still tries to help others.

You are one that CAN'T OR DON'T want to be helped. Yes shooting bears over bait is legal in some areas so is night hunting for other animals. You say we are wannabes then what the HELL were you trying to be by shooting out of a pickup. Thats called POACHING by any BACKWOODS standard.

No one here has posted any outright profanity until you did my dear boy. I'm from TEXAS born and Breed. Whats has Dave King done to you? Can you answer that?

I don't plan to be rude but think back when was the last time you had a cerebalanalinsertion checkup. You are over do. If you couldn't shoot 400 yards the way you expected too did you ever think of down loading for less recoil or maybe even a different caliber? Not everyone can shoot a 600 Nitro Express much less at 200 yards for 10-20 rounds its a gun design for one who can handle it for close DG

I for one hope that you will reconsider what you posted and just go away politey and not interupt class again.

BTW how many times did you get sent to the principals office for such outbust?
grin.gif
shocked.gif

I had a big long flammable reply written but decided to do the professional thing, and reply to his concerns......
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> Yes, I do believe alot of you guys are sniper wannabees. Raise your hand if you've ever worn a ghillie suit for deer hunting. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Nope, sorry not me........

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>If LR hunting is becoming so popular, and is viewed upon as being a type of actual hunting, how come none of the big game hunting mags or hunting shows have done a feature on it?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There actually have been quite a few articles done...However they are written in magazines such as Tactical Shooter, and Precision Shooting... They are a little more complex and dont have pop ups in them or crayons...
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> Could it be because you clowns are looked upon as embarrassments to the hunting community?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We're not actually the one showin our asses right now......that would be ummmmm......YOU...
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> was interested in LR hunting a while back. I bought a Savage 112 BVSS in 7mm remington magnum. Had a Bushnell Elite 10X scope mounted in Leupold tactical mounts. I only shot it at 400 yards, couldn't hit ****, so I sold it for a semi auto Browning straight across beeatch. I did actually shoot off the hood of my truck, with sand filled socks for rests. I was shooting 168 gr. Sierra's over 70 grs. of H4831 short cut powder, remington hulls, and cci 200 primers. Muzzle speed was an estimated 2900 fps, 26" tube <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So, correct me if Im worng....you bought a rifle....put a scope on it...got cunfused by the mil dots, couldnt hit anything at 400, which isnt too many mins come up from a 100yd zero even in a crappy rifle...and just gave up....Yeah, that is about what I expect from guys like you...It shouuld automatically hit at 1k cause you said so...

Did you take time to get dope from 100, 150, 200, 250, and so on out to 400?...Oh, Im sorry thats right you gave up....

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>I live in the southern US, don't be so frickin' nosey. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gee, so do I... and if you'd care to put your money where your mouth is...I can find a range anywhere from Kingsville Tx, to Central Ga... 1rd....1 target....unknown distance...lets get it on big man....

'Squatch........charlie mike

[ 08-26-2003: Message edited by: TeamSasquatch ]

[ 08-26-2003: Message edited by: TeamSasquatch ]

I_Want_To_Speak

Figured you'd be back but it took a little longer than I had anticipated...

As TS mentioned there are article about Long Range hunting in magazines and there'll be more coming. There was a fella making a Long Range hunting TV show a couple years back...don't know if it ever aired.

I believe that to some degree all forms of hunting not directly undertaken by the concerned individual are sometimes viewed as and embarrassement to the hunting community. Archery has it's pitfalls, shooting game birds is a bad idea to some folks, hunting over bait or next to fields is looked down upon by some folks. Shooting anything that can't be eaten is often touted as wasteful and to be avoided. You happen to currently dislike (by your actions and words) Long Range hunting...it'll be something else for you soon... I believe you're the type that enjoys disliking something/everything.

Yeah... I'm the *******, I'll freely admit..I do a lot of ******* thing...replying to you could be considered one. The bear was not at a bait, the "sniper" rifle is my custom 308 Win. I was probably wearing blue jeans and a heavy shirt or light jacket (no camo), can't remember. I have a ghillie suit...made it for a class I took...very interesting class... teaches stalking and shooting moving targets....that's the only time I've ever wore the suit...way too cumbersome for hunting.

You need to find a larger group to ****-moan to, this is a small community and your skills might be wasted here.

TeamSas, Texas, Dave and others.

Very good reply concerning that "Wannabe Hunter" at "ANY" range.

His type is typical, If "I" can't do neither can anybody else.

He picks a crappy rifle (as if he could shoot ANY rifle at ANY range other then a 22 at 20 Yards--Maybe) to try to do something with, and then can't take the recoil and can't hit crap. Like you said, he probably couldn't figure out the comeups of the scope he had and then he gave up.

He never asked questions as to how to better himself and best of all, didn't practice to improve himself.
Maybe the shoulder was to sore after two rounds?
Maybe quite possibly, His sandbag rest was over the hood of his tonka toy truck?

Best comment of all from him was about the ghillie suit while big game hunting. Everyone knows you have to wear ORANGE while big game hunting with a rifle, not camo or military sniper suits.

Oh well, leave it to the "Beaver."

You will always be able to tell what a person knows when he makes comments on a forum and don't know squat about hunting or shooting, at any range, especially Longrange. This guy fills the bill to the "T".
Their mouth overloads their rear end EVERY TIME.

We give some latitude to let a person make a fool out of themselves and you saw that happen in this case.

Anyway, his profanity won't be tolerated over here and will be deleted if he continues.

To anyone who came here to learn how we do what we do and to give your own longrange hunting/shooting/loading tecniques, that have been successful for you and in a positive way, we welcome your presence.
All others ---well you know---leave it to the "Beaver."

Later
Darryl

As an add on here, I agree with Dave, we lower ourselves to "I want to speaks" level by responding, but, a person has to do that sometimes before the other is deleted from this forum.

[ 08-26-2003: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

ok, apparently i missed something here over the past few days. dave king or DC please email me the reply from I_want_to_speak or whatever.

i really missed out on that one--got the reply to it but his remarks were apparently deleted b4 i got back here.

if his inappropriate reply is still around, please email it to me so i can know what made everyone so furious. - [email protected] thanks--sorry i missed all the fun!!

He already showed his true self.. he's a Pu$$y.. he would not say who he really is.. he's just some kid who plays with his relatives and toys to much.. just hiding behind his computer...
Just another hemroid..

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.