Check this out people

I_Want_To_Speak
Your replys have been deleted and will continue to be deleted until you learn some manners. You are welcome here when you have something to contribute to the discussions besides profanity. Until then, go somewhere else with your tirades...

DC, thanks for the kind words. I learned a long time ago a man has to stand for something or he'll fall for anything.

CJ, thanks to you also for being around to handle this while Len is out of country.

Since I've been on this site most have been very helpful and those that were not were supportive. That being said we came here to learn and experience the reality of being able to better ourselves in this sport.

I've already told the little troll what I thought of him back when he was getting into LRH a couple months ago, I think it was something about casting pearls unto swine....

Hey fellows, I dont post much here or anywhere but sometimes i cant resist to open my trap. so here it goes ,
Can only use a shotgun for deer in the counties in VA that I hunt in , so im not a long range guy by any account,But I do seem to tag out from time to time, and my freezer is full,We use dogs here too , I know that dont go well with most people's "huntin" views, but thats how its done here, I have read "Dear Mom" and it is a **** fine book , along with many other accounts written by men that have served, I am tryin to build me a guillie suit for deer huntin , but really do realize that as long as i dont move or look them in the eyes the deer dont know im there, you see I have deer nearly standing on me ,whether im on the ground or im in a tree and have had to scare them away so that i can breath regularly again, and I like that, Its huntin to me , along with having to ask fellow club members to help me bring 2 deer out to the truck, "**** how you do that"is the look i get , i like that too lol!
Here is the kicker, when i am lookin across a corn or bean field and see something on the other end , probably not more than a mile at the most , likely alot less, I think **** i wish i could do a shot like that , like them boys at LRH do , and you fellows have opened back up my interest in rifle shooting , dont see a 1000yd gun in my future , unless my high end custom,lol,30-06 BDL will take me there. I applaud the guys that can humanely kill a animal at the distances yall folks speak of, or even the paper ones too. I am almost done ramblin, several months ago i read a article im Predator Extreme mag about sticking wild pigs with a knife , think that may be safer than me swingin out of a tree on a rope , you know? maybe tacklin a bear and holdin him down till he gives up would suit some of the "true hunters".
thanks for hearin me out guys I enjoy readin about yalls exploits and wish i was in the position to give some of em a try, oh yeah the deer aint in the tree with me , think they would if they could climb , you see im a furry critter from time to time also lol
FAW wannabe deer sniper lol
smile.gif
smile.gif
wink.gif

Mr. H-Bar,
Like yer handle! What you stated is so true. Years ago my passion was "Buffalo Rifles". We shot them at all sorts of ranges and the ole' Sharps and Remington Black Powder Cartridge rifles are unbelivable. But there was alot of BS floating around about their true effectiveness. Doing research about the history of Buffalo Hunting in the 1870's and 1880's, I found truth about what was really being done. The hunters were taking shots from 150 to 300 yds! One and a great while a 600 yard kill was made, but it was a very rare thing. Even the famous 1570 yard kill on a Comache(sic)brave in 1874 at Adobe Walls with a 50-90 Sharps was called a "scratch shot" by the shooter,Billy Dixon.
The same holds true with Big Game Hunting with a Long Range Rifle. I would take a guess that most of the clean kills made by Long Range Hunters are much farther than your classic 300 yard shot, but the 1,000 yard shot is a rare thing indeed. But I have watched some riflemen shoot who are capable of such feats, and the gentlemen who do have my total respect
cool.gif
I am not in such a class, but I am working hard to get there!

Mr. Faw 67,
Howdy! your Rem. BDL 30-06 is and excellent rifle to get started in this wonderful sport of Long Range Hunting! Good luck to your entry into a very interesting activity
smile.gif

A lot of people don't bother to check into what good long-range hunters go through to be that good. Others simply think their way (ie up-close) is the only ethical way.
As for the latter, what is sporting or ethical about blasting a deer from 20 yards with a gun? I've killed deer from 198 yards down to 6 feet. Nothing sporting about bow-range gun kills. Any accomplished bowhunter isn't too challenged in occasionally stalking within 20-30 yards of a deer, or positioning a stand to put themselves that close. So I don't see how you can argue the range factor as being a huge issue from that standpoint. If I want to shoot a deer at 20 yards, I'll take my bow, it's a hell of a lot more of an adrenaline rush. End of story.
As for people not knowing the equipment and skills involved, it's just simple ignorance. I was at a 100-yard range working up loads for my muzzleloader last fall and was getting mad because the load I was working up was throwing 2-inch groups. I heard the guy next to me say about his group "that's good enough, we're not trying to shoot quarters." I swung my scope over to his target....10 inch 100 yard group with a scoped .270 off a bench! With hundreds of shooters like that around, I guess it isn't surprising that they (and all those that observe their misadventures) don't think long-range hunting is ethical from the perspective of wounding/missing animals.
I experience this a lot since my only "long range" experience is muzzleloading to 300 yards. People tell me all the time it's irresponsible and unethical. They don't bother to check that my spitzer bullets have more energy and velocity at 300 yards than a legal round ball at 40 yards, or that I shoot 4-5 inch groups sitting off a bipod at 300.
I'm brand-new here, absorbing the info for the day I can get into centerfire long-range fun. Very helpful forum from what I've seen.

I've been long range hunting for over 30 yrs. I really don't care if a hunter kills one at 2 yds or 2000 yds. It's all hunting to me.

I lease a farm where only 3 guys hunt, after the first week, only I hunt it. Being disabled I can sit on a hillside and range the entire farm. I don't like hunting with others, I've been shot. It hurts and really ****es me off.

Long range hunters are about the safest I know of. I have watched some short range hunters, with their dogs, radio's and pick-ups running folks off the road. Aint for me but to each his own.

Good luck y'all, Vern

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.