Check this guy on my game cam

Hey shoot it if you like and want a rug from it, as long as no cubs hanging around no harm done. There are bigger bears taken every year and smaller ones also. Last year I took a smaller spring black, 200 pounds, than I initially was looking for, it had an immaculate pure black coat without a single rub. Last spring's bear made a great rug that sits at the side of my bed and I enjoy it every morning as I get out of bed. I spent about 20 minutes looking at the bear before putting a couple of holes in him. I had passed up two bears the night before that were bigger but did not have a nice coat, and I had three more days of hunting if I wanted to, there was no hurry.

As hunters we often get too hung up on getting trophies that a bunch of others will say great things about, shoot what you are happy with and enjoy the end results.

My two cents,
wade

Nice one. I am jealous of ya getting to bear hunt like that. Arkansas bow bear season opens up before gun season. They set a quota for bears each season. If the quote is killed before gun bear season it never opens. I bow hunt never get to see any. I live 25 miles from the sycamore national forest. It has the highest bear population in the state. But u wouldn't believe the amount of people hunting over there.

We've got almost too many bears in CO. Good color, good size, punch a tag and save some fawns/calves. Plus the fall bears eat pretty good too.

Washington this year is a spring draw with 2 over the counter bear tags for the falls season which opened on 8-1 a full month earlier. If you got a spring tag you have the opportunity to take 3 this year. Fair chase only up here. No bait or dogs. No electronic calls. Bet fit and ready to walk.

The head is not full triangle back to the ears. In the second picture there is a narrowing from the eye socket to the ears on the skull. Not a boar, Unless it is a very young boar. Nothing to compare size to. It is hard to say from 2 still pictures, A head on shot or video would give more information.
The hide is unique with the lighter colored hair coming off the shoulder area.

I put a cam at one of my elk spots. I have never actually seen him in person but I have captured quite a few photos of him. Any guesses as to age/weight? He looks way bigger than the other bear that I am getting photos of. I've never really been all that interested in shooting a bear but he looks like he could make a good rug. View attachment 210627
Awesome color!!

I put a cam at one of my elk spots. I have never actually seen him in person but I have captured quite a few photos of him. Any guesses as to age/weight? He looks way bigger than the other bear that I am getting photos of. I've never really been all that interested in shooting a bear but he looks like he could make a good rug. View attachment 210627
It's speaking sow to me just doesn't have that boar looking head. Only one way to find out sharpen your knife!!

Washington this year is a spring draw with 2 over the counter bear tags for the falls season which opened on 8-1 a full month earlier. If you got a spring tag you have the opportunity to take 3 this year. Fair chase only up here. No bait or dogs. No electronic calls. Bet fit and ready to walk.
Not meant at you but I love the fair chase only that came out of a regulations guide. I'd have to say bait, electronic calls and hounds is fair chase. I had a blue tick bust a bear in a corn field coon hunting never did tree that night and let me tell you you'd better be in shape if you like your dogs. I found him in the morning waiting on the field road where I parked! Bait I hunted in Maine the bear still has every opportunity in the world to not feed at the bait pile. I've only called coyotes and fox but you sure put on a ton of miles getting beyond roadside hunters that weren't raised in the outdoors after dark if you know what I mean! Comments not aimed at you but I'd say just about any hunting method is fair chase. Caged hunts aren't hunts in my book they're just killing an animal. Sorry to hijack the beautiful bear thread too but shoot it!!!

OP. A suggestion, if you take one cut out a big ROAST, COOK WITH SALT, PEPPER, ONIONS, GARLIC AND A RICH BROWN GRAVY. SERVE OVER A BED OF EGG NOODLES WITH A SIDE OF SWEET AND SOUR RED CABBAGE, HARDY GRAIN BREAD (to sop up the gravy) AND BUTTER. WASH DOWN WITH A COLD BOTTLE (or two) OF GOOD GERMAN BEER. 🐻;) LOL.

It is a beautiful bear for sure . It appears to me either a younger boar or a real nice sow. They only have cubs every other year . And a boar may have killed her cubs to force her into heat. As far as if I seen it and wanted to kill it because it is a beautiful bear I'd shoot it for sure. They are very good eating in the fall as long as not eating dumpster food.
Here in Wv we are over run with bears . I saw yesterday where the Dnr said in the last week alone there has been over 1000 bear complaints in the last 2 weeks. It's due to no soft mast this year very few berries and even fewer apples.
We've had one early season already last week in the southern part of the state just 16 days till RELEASE THE HOUNDS oh yeah get it get it can't wait

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.