Check me out guys!

G

I've got a rifle that I used in LR Prone matches years ago that I rechambered to .30x8 Rem Mag. It's got a tight neck throat for which I have turned the necks on the brass and I have no load data for this cartridge but looking at the Sierra Ballistic program and data for the 8 Mag cartridge I think that I can interpolate a safe load maybe using MagPro powder or possibly RE-25 or RE-22. The data for the 8 Mag shows for the above powders max load figures of 93, 89.5, and 82 grs. respectively. I wish to use the 190 gr. Sierra MKHP and I've figured that I can possibly obtain 3150-3200 fps in velocity. What do you think would be a safe level to start at and w/what powder? Also....at 3100 fps using the 190 as listed and with a 200 yd. zero the drop data at 1000 yds. is listed as 213" or a change in MOA of roughly 21 MOA and for 1500 yds. it's 655" or roughly 44 MOA.

What say you??

Thanks!

I have used MagPro in several calibers. It definately prefers 95% + case capacity loads. In 270, with 140 gr AB, powder charge I am using is about 102% compressed. Fouling is another problem I have run into with MagPro, but I am going to switch to a hotter primer to try and cure that. I can't complain about the MV boost I get with it either.

jm2c

On using RL-22 and RL 25, Bountyhunter says it varies a lot from lot to lot and is "seconds" to start with. I wound up using a cleaning rod to tap out a couple of cases when I shot a max laod of RL22 on a 100 degree day. The load had been maxed out at about 80-85 degrees so I will not claim that there is anything wrong with the powder- just bad judgement on my part to be shooting that load on such a hot day. A month later when day time temperatures dropped back into the 80's the load was fine. I have a whole lot of that load ready for deer season when it starts in two weeks. Too much time invested in developing the load and getting it dialed in to change now. But there is a can of H4831sc ready for checking once hunting season gets over.

Jb's is the obvious answer... the 308 BAER will also be close depending on what shoulder angle you have.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts