cheap stock and a bipod

Coyote calling

Hello,

I have a Savage weather warrior 300 WSM. I would like to be shooting well out to 500 yards so I am looking at bipods. The only thing I am concerned about is the year savage I have is the year before they used accustocks. If fisher-price made a gun stock, it would be this stock. It is very flimsy and I am wondering am I going to have rifle/stock contact with a bipod? If so, is it worth getting a bipod? What bipod do you guys recommend?

Thanks, Andy

Andy, you probably will get contact especially if you preload the bipod and your position is less then perfect. I would get the bipod and go from there. I have not stiffened the sporter barrel tupperware stock but did do my fluted varmint with carbon arrow shaft and devcon that worked well.

I have bought several 111s in the "Tupperware" stock to get the rifle cheap to build on. I don't like the shape of the factory stocks in the wrist and comb areas- so they all get replaced with Boyd's laminate Pro-Varmint (used to be called Tacticool), which has a more vertical grip, a nice wide fore-end (very solid for bipod attachment) and much less drop at the heel for better recoil management. I order a custom length of pull and Limbsaver pad, but still the price is pretty nice. With pillar bedding and new paint to suit my tastes they shoot and look very satisfactorily. I use Harris pods with pod-loc levers on the swivel adjustment. Works fine without breaking the bank.

Attachments

• Breaking in the 280AI 001.JPG
    Breaking in the 280AI 001.JPG
    188.7 KB · Views: 130
Coyote, agree with 7mag, the Boyd's Pro Varmint is a great stock for not much money. I just finished bedding one for a friend's Savage 111 and it performs as well as it looks. Strong, but all the Boyd's I've seen need bedding and the options like the Limbsaver and laminate colors are very reasonable. It will definitely not flex on a bipod. I like the Harris bipods. Good luck

I have a pre-accustock Weather Warrior in 7mm RM that I used as a budget build. I switched from the Tupperware stock to a Hogue full-bedding block stock and mounted a Caldwell pivot bipod on it. It started out shooting just about 1 moa and now shoots... Just about 1 moa. It does feel more comfortable now and looks a heck of a lot cooler. It's just not any more accurate.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.