Cheap scope feasibility

• Thread starter Deleted member 48126
  • Start date
I went top of the line cheap scopes,about $150 range, on a 7mag once,lifetime warranty can't go wrong.First scope,great glass,even killed a few animals using it.It lasted fifteen rounds and was done.Twenty dollars shipping fee.They sent me a brand new scope.Wow,that's great!Great warranty!Second scope,brand new,couldn't even sight my rifle in and it broke.Sent it back,plus another twenty dollars.Wow,gotta love that lifetime warranty.They sent me another brand new scope.New scope to the range,seven shots later,no good,sending it back,plus another twenty dollars.Top of the line model no longer available so they sent me the next best model,tougher scope,still great glass,gotta love the lifetime warranty.That scope lasted about fifty rounds and broke.Gotta love that lifetime warranty.Another one sent back,plus another twenty dollars.They sent me another brand new scope.Wow,I love that lifetime warranty..............About twenty five rounds later,dang it broke too????? Come on man,that 7mag doesn't kick that hard,but it sure killed the hell out of those cheap scopes.Another one sent back,plus another twenty dollars and once again,they sent me another brand new scope.I could have bought a $200 scope to start with and saved myself a lot of frustration,time,ammo and money to start with.Ended up selling the new scope and put that money towards a better,$250 scope and every scope purchased since then has been in that price range or more and have lived happily ever since then.Sure there are great scopes in the cheap scope range and even expensive scopes can break too,but it's like the old saying,"You get what you pay for".That's my story and it is a true story and I'm sticking to it.
LOL, I am not laughing at you, do scopes ever come apart when you don't care if it actually needs to work?
The first scope I ever saw meltdown was Leupold, guy was shooting a 375 Ruger at 1350 yards, he was close on one shot, went to shooting a 200 yard group after. I recall thinking the guy was a tool, until someone figured it out.

I find that inflation often isn't taken into account when people classify optics.

Everyone understands that you can't buy a gallon of gas for 25 cents any more... but people don't seem to understand you can't buy a quality optic for $200 anymore. Really, you never could. Even back in 1995... Leupold MK4's were going for nearly $1000.

-----------

Last edited:
I find that inflation often isn't taken into account when people classify optics.

Everyone understands that you can't buy a gallon of gas for 25 cents any more... but people don't seem to understand you can't buy a quality optic for $200 anymore. Really, you never could. Even back in 1995... Leupold MK4's were going for nearly $1000.

-----------

In 1975 I gave my dad $ 300.00 that I saved by working all summer. He brought backs Ruger M77 7mag, a box of ammo and a Redfield3x9.....and some change.

If $250 (used, beater type) - $300 fits in the cheap scope category I respectfully submit consideration of the fixed power SWFA SS scopes. The 16X42 Mil Quad ain't that bad except exquisite views of rodent features are somewhat faded out upon decreasing sunlight intensity. The 20X42 Mil Quad has the magnification but is more susceptible to fading light intensity and due to tiny exit pupil requires more eye alignment. If I did not know better these 2 scopes would be adequate for 90% of my casual shooting requirements.

I bought a $79 Tasco 6-24x40 world class for my first 22-250 groundhog rig back in the early 80s because it was all I could afford just out of college. That scope outlived two barrels and now resides on my 17 HMR.

I have a Tasco 6x24 that has over 2,000 7mm-08 rounds on it and little over 1,000 rounds of 223 Rem. It actually still works and it's now used on a 22lr. I couldn't always afford what I can now, so I made due with what I could.

The stories that scope could tell, and the countless animals it has put to sleep.

Cheap scopes do have a place.

I have a 6-20X40 Weaver Grand Slam that I bought for just under $300 21 years ago. At that time $300 was not cheap but it is now. That scope has been on a .280R, & 6 others and now a .17 HMR. The optics are equal to my Leupold VXIII scopes. It can be focused down to 10-15 yards & is ideal for rim fire use. The rubber surrounding the back of the objective fell off but was glued back on with E6000 glue, sort of like rubber cement. Biggest animal was a big whitetail at just under 400 yards with the .280R & now for rodents where the landowner only allows rimfires. All covered with tiny scratches and rubber parts are worn but still works.

LOL, I am not laughing at you, do scopes ever come apart when you don't care if it actually needs to work?
The first scope I ever saw meltdown was Leupold, guy was shooting a 375 Ruger at 1350 yards, he was close on one shot, went to shooting a 200 yard group after. I recall thinking the guy was a tool, until someone figured it out.
My cheap scopes that failed always broke internally.One broke on a hunt.I shot a buck standing broadside.I was aiming behind the shoulder,I shot and the deer dropped on the spot,DRT,great shot.When I went to get the deer,I didn't see where I hit him in the shoulder area.I hit him in the spine right in front of the hindquarters.***??? I'm not that bad of a shot.In fact it leaves you kinda embarrassed if you want to know the truth.I went to the range after that and confirmed it was not me,the scope was screwed up internally.Better scopes have better internal parts.Might work on a lighter recoiling rifle,but my 7mag,that has only moderate recoil,was definitely a cheap scope killer.The only cheap scope that held up to it was a Japanese made Tasco World Class.That scope said in the scopes literature,it was able to withstand the recoil of a 458 Winchester Magnum.

Recent Posts