Cheap scope feasibility

• Thread starter Deleted member 48126
  • Start date
And the 4th contestant on I didn't read the entire Original Post

Does anyone have good experiences with cheap scopes? I was looking at the monstrum tactical 1-3 G3 scope. I just thought it was a cool little scope at $140, much like the Nikon P223 3X. Thinking about getting it for my brothers AR. Does anyone have any other scope recommendations < $200?

Also, I know the adage you get what you pay for. I have NF, Bushnell DMRs / LRHS, SWFA HDs so I know what I'm giving up. Just looking for a functional, beater scope.
This is how biden got elected.....

I don't care about f'n Biden. Just saying Bushnell isn't a bad rimfire scope.

Yeah I don't want to F Biden either. Good call.

Bushnell is just like vortex. They have cheap stuff and super expensive stuff. Their XRS is a direct competitor to the Razor Gen II. The DMRII is way better than the PST.

Does anyone have good experiences with cheap scopes? I was looking at the monstrum tactical 1-3 G3 scope. I just thought it was a cool little scope at $140, much like the Nikon P223 3X. Thinking about getting it for my brothers AR. Does anyone have any other scope recommendations < $200?

Also, I know the adage you get what you pay for. I have NF, Bushnell DMRs / LRHS, SWFA HDs so I know what I'm giving up. Just looking for a functional, beater scope.
Well there is generally nothing good about cheap scopes so under $200 I have no recommendation. Have tried many and many have failed or didn't last long. As for a good $200 scope the Vortex Crossfire 3 X 9 or 4 X 12 run about $199 at Cabelas. They have good glass and are otherwise a good value for the money especially with the Vortex lifetime warranty that other inexpensive scopes do not have. If it's broke they will replace it free of charge, no questions asked.

Well there is generally nothing good about cheap scopes so under $200 I have no recommendation. Have tried many and many have failed or didn't last long. As for a good $200 scope the Vortex Crossfire 3 X 9 or 4 X 12 run about $199 at Cabelas. They have good glass and are otherwise a good value for the money especially with the Vortex lifetime warranty that other inexpensive scopes do not have. If it's broke they will replace it free of charge, no questions asked.
For sure I agree. But here's my perspective on cheap gear. I look at it like cheap handguns. Are they very reliable? Probably not. Do they work well or offer great performance? I doubt it. But do they have a place? I believe they do. Some cannot afford a good piece of kit. But having something is better than nothing. I have saved for years to have better quality gear. But sometimes you need/ want something right now. And in those instances you get what you can. I've done more with less. And I've had quality gear.

For sure I agree. But here's my perspective on cheap gear. I look at it like cheap handguns. Are they very reliable? Probably not. Do they work well or offer great performance? I doubt it. But do they have a place? I believe they do. Some cannot afford a good piece of kit. But having something is better than nothing. I have saved for years to have better quality gear. But sometimes you need/ want something right now. And in those instances you get what you can. I've done more with less. And I've had quality gear.
To me more with less as far as scopes go would be peep sights. I would rather have a good set of irons than a cheap scope that I cannot trust to hold zero under recoil. Been there...done that...never again.

The cheapest scope that I've ever bought that I considered the bare minimum for some LR shooting was a sightron 4-20x50 s tac which I gave $275 for new. I know It is over your $200 limit and it probably can't be found that cheap anymore. It still suffices for me.

As I have mentioned previously I don't do cheap scopes. They have cost me good money and always let me down in the pinch. Saving up for the quality scope that I want may take some time, especially being retired and on fixed income but spending money on inferior products just isn't worth it.