Cheap scope feasibility

• Thread starter Deleted member 48126
  • Start date
the Vortex PST 5x25 on sale at under $800...**** fine scopes for that price point...
this is a good option too... for $650

Solid scope for $450

I saw the Burris RT series as well. Thanks for the input.

the Vortex PST 5x25 on sale at under $800...**** fine scopes for that price point...
this is a good option too... for $650

Solid scope for $450

Does anyone have good experiences with cheap scopes? I was looking at the monstrum tactical 1-3 G3 scope. I just thought it was a cool little scope at $140, much like the Nikon P223 3X. Thinking about getting it for my brothers AR. Does anyone have any other scope recommendations < $200?

+1 on Burris.
Although not on my longer range rifles, I have several of the E1s... one on a .17 hmr and one on a .22 and one on a 7mm08. I also have the RT-6 on a crossbow. All have performed well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
+1 on Burris.
Although not on my longer range rifles, I have several of the E1s... one on a .17 hmr and one on a .22 and one on a 7mm08. I also have the RT-6 on a crossbow. All have performed well.

It's not a longer range rifle. It's for my brother's 16 inch PSA. It's a nice rifle, with quality parts, but probably a 300 yard rifle. The way he uses it, it won't go past 100 yards 80% of the time.

Does anyone have good experiences with cheap scopes? I was looking at the monstrum tactical 1-3 G3 scope. I just thought it was a cool little scope at $140, much like the Nikon P223 3X. Thinking about getting it for my brothers AR. Does anyone have any other scope recommendations < $200?
Sorry excuse me..reading detail is not a strong suit of mine—

Another Burris E1 fan here,shot Leupold since about 1980.Looked through a Fullfield II at the range one day.Sold my Leupolds and put E1scopes on both of my coyote rifles.Went with E1 ballistic plex and am very pleased.Got the last one for $198 in my mailbox.The reticle analysis on the Burris website was very close on yardage on my setups.Mine are both 4.5-14 x42

It's not a longer range rifle. It's for my brother's 16 inch PSA. It's a nice rifle, with quality parts, but probably a 300 yard rifle. The way he uses it, it won't go past 100 yards 80% of the time.
I have a KonusPro-T30 7292 3X-12X50mm Riflescope with Engraved/Illuminated Mil-Dot Reticle and included 30mm Dual-T Mounting Rings on one of my ARs. Amazzon has it for $234 Amazon product ASIN B00HV6MJO6 but if you shop around you can get them for under $200.

For 100 to 300 yards max he could use a regular duplex and sight in 200 yard zero. Learn Kentucky windage for a 300 yard hold of roughly 7.5 inches holdover with 55 gr vmax. So a used 3x9 Leopold is now in the mix.

Leapers Bugbuster. $99
Buddy has one and I am impressed by the glass for the price range.
I had a leapers 1-7 scout scope on one AR, glass compared favorably with my Leupy scout scope, but was too heavy and screwed up the balance.
You can also find Nikon Prostaffs (used) for ~$100.

You get what you pay for! You are just throwing good money after bad money away. You don't have to get a NightForce, but there lot of good scopes out there. Cheap doesn't cut it.

Clearly you do get what you pay for but you can clearly overpay for what you need! Example, I've been running a 300 Hamr 16" AR for a few years now. This is a 200-250 yard gun on game. Clearly I don't need a monster scope
on this but with aging eyes I found the need for an illuminated reticle. I went from a Nikon Monarch 3 2.5x10x50 to a Monstrum 3x9x40 with an illuminated reticle and a 30mm tube and was stunned! My field of view was larger and I found the clarity to be equal. Throw in the illuminated reticle and this scope is exactly what I need for what I'm doing with this gun! The difference in price was almost $200 between the two scopes with the Nikon being more expensive. And I have no complaints about Nikons. For hunting, again in the field hunting, you can spend more but the Nikons are perfect. Only time will tell if this Monstrum will hold up, that's my only reservation. If it doesn't I can always go back to the Nikon.

You get what you pay for! You are just throwing good money after bad money away. You don't have to get a NightForce, but there lot of good scopes out there. Cheap doesn't cut it.
He's very aware of that I assure you

Also, I know the adage you get what you pay for. I have NF, Bushnell DMRs / LRHS, SWFA HDs so I know what I'm giving up. Just looking for a functional, beater scope.

Clearly you do get what you pay for but you can clearly overpay for what you need! Example, I've been running a 300 Hamr 16" AR for a few years now. This is a 200-250 yard gun on game. Clearly I don't need a monster scope
on this but with aging eyes I found the need for an illuminated reticle. I went from a Nikon Monarch 3 2.5x10x50 to a Monstrum 3x9x40 with an illuminated reticle and a 30mm tube and was stunned! My field of view was larger and I found the clarity to be equal. Throw in the illuminated reticle and this scope is exactly what I need for what I'm doing with this gun! The difference in price was almost $200 between the two scopes with the Nikon being more expensive. And I have no complaints about Nikons. For hunting, again in the field hunting, you can spend more but the Nikons are perfect. Only time will tell if this Monstrum will hold up, that's my only reservation. If it doesn't I can always go back to the Nikon.
Same goes for you

Also, I know the adage you get what you pay for. I have NF, Bushnell DMRs / LRHS, SWFA HDs so I know what I'm giving up. Just looking for a functional, beater scope.