Cheap, quality binoculars

Hirschi1

Hey folks, need some help. The title is a little weird, but here is the story. My coworker only hunts very little. He wants a good pair of binos that he can use for the few days he hunts in a year. The binos he has now gives him the head ache after glassing for more than 10 minutes. I say but better glass. But he refuses to pay more than $100. He would like 12x50's

What binoculars would you recommend for him?

I'm far from being an optics snob, pretty thrifty myself in fact, but I dont know that there's going to be much difference one to the next down at that price range. Best bet would be to go somewhere they got several to look through and pick the ones that he can properly focus the best and get a clear image on something across the store.

I may be wrong and if so it wouldn't be the first time. Going to the store and looking through different types of binoculars with the diopter correctly adjusted would be good advise. Where I may be wrong is. If you find a pair you like, take that particular pair. From my experience with cheaper glass, one pair may be pretty good the next may not be as good. Like I said, probably wrong, so take it for what it is worth. Good luck

*x20' thise are usually like 50 bucks and hard to focus let alone adjust diopter. If he gets a decent set he may actualy want to hunt more. Being from Canada I do not know what you can get for 100 dollars but feel a 200 dollar set would help him a lot more. Then sit down with him and set them up for his eyes. He will likely think he has died and gone to heaven. Also make sure he does not buy another set of those pocket bino's.

Cheap and Quality don't usually go together when referring to optics ;)

Ive owned a lot of different binoculars and some of the best glass for the money is Meopta HD 8x42 or 10x42 binoculars, I see theres a pair of 10x42s on Ebay for 429.00 or best offer from Optics Planet, offer 350.00 and see where it goes.

Link to add on Ebay. 312101895243

Picture below for reference.

Cheap and quality do go together in one, specific way for binoculars.

Porro prism binos (the big, not straight ones) such as Nikon's Aculon series will typically be higher quality at a specific point than a comparable roof-pentaprism binocular. Nikon makes a 10x42 Aculon at <$100, others probably do as well. They won't be as high quality as a pair of Swarovskis or Leicas, but they will be better than a comparable roof-prism binocular. This is because the roof-pentaprisms are more difficult to manufacture than Porro prisms so at a particular price point more money can be spent on things like lens quality and coatings. The downside is porro prisms are larger.

Well if his current set of binos is 8x20 then it is probably Tasco...garbage hinges and glass...trying to look thru those will definitely make your head hurt....
Least expensive set of bino I would suggest would be a Leupold windriver or so model....be a touch over 100$ but not much...
I have several of those styles...6x was perfect inside the timber and 8x got me through the open areas....
Step up from there to 10x....i eventually went to their switchpower binos which are 10-17x.....too much power inside timber but really nice for scanning open country with 10x and switching to 17x to confirm oddities in the distance....but even though they are 1000$+ binos..if the adjustments aren't used correctly they can still tear out your eyes.....
Good glass and adjustments make or break binos.....

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts