Cheap, quality binoculars

You are right anything higher the glass quality is gonna be so bad the zoom won't help. I've since moved to better glass lower power. Don't get me wrong I'd love to have more zoom in my Leica's but everyone is always amazed by how much more they can see. I was even shocked when I strapped them in my hog saddle at the difference in glass. Harder to tell great stuff from kid stuff while holding them.

See if you can get him into a 10x Prostaff 7 they go on sale for around $150. He really would be better off with lower mag 8x if he insists on spending $100. You can't really hand hold 12x that well...especially cheap ones. No much good for "glassing"

Cheap and Quality don't usually go together when referring to optics ;)

Ive owned a lot of different binoculars and some of the best glass for the money is Meopta HD 8x42 or 10x42 binoculars, I see theres a pair of 10x42s on Ebay for 429.00 or best offer from Optics Planet, offer 350.00 and see where it goes.

Link to add on Ebay. 312101895243

Picture below for reference.

Meoptas new Optika binos will be available for purchase in just a few weeks. Glass just as good as the Meopro for $299 still European made. 8x42 and 10x42 available.

Vortex Diamondback db205 10x42. Probably the best low cost binocular, and certainly worth considering.

100% Agree. I've got tons of $ invested in hunting equipment, and yet I still have my Diamondback 10x42's...

Optics that are CHEAP and GOOD do not exist! However, I have been satisfied with my vortex viper spotting scope, until the focus knob broke, now its off to the factory for a replacement. I've learned the hard way with cheap optics. The lesson I learned is to buy the best that you can afford, not the best that "fits" the budget! MY optics now consist of Leupold, NightForce, and yes I still will use the Vortex Spotter until I can afford a higher end spotter.

Optics that are CHEAP and GOOD do not exist! However, I have been satisfied with my vortex viper spotting scope, until the focus knob broke, now its off to the factory for a replacement. I've learned the hard way with cheap optics. The lesson I learned is to buy the best that you can afford, not the best that "fits" the budget! MY optics now consist of Leupold, NightForce, and yes I still will use the Vortex Spotter until I can afford a higher end spotter.

I agree but I also think that there are some high value optics. I have a set of Nikon Prostaff 7's that only cost $150. They are 90% as good as my Leupold BX4's at 25% the cost. My BX4's are 90% as good as my buddy's Swaro's at 25% the cost.

I got my Cabela's euro spotting scope for like $400. It's better than my buddy's Razor HD that cost 3 times as much.

So in some cases, you have to spend like 1600% more to get 20% better optics. That may not be affordable to some folks. In other cases, you can find some great glass at bargain prices.

Nevertheless, the advice is sound: save up and buy the best glass you can afford.

I bought my nephew a set of wingspan 8x42 ultra HD off Amazon for 200$. They have phenomenal image for the price, pretty comparable to my zeiss HD and GPO HD binos. They only downfalls the less than stellar eye cups. But he's 12, and he loves the hell out of em.

It still amazes me to this day. People spend thousands on custom rifles and thousands on custom scopes for those rifles. Yet try to slide by with cheaper binos and spotters! Why? U spend seconds behind a rifle with that moment arrives yet u spend hours and hours behind glass to arrive to that point of the hunt!

I bought cheap Orion Cometron 7x50 for my son, and he said he had kinda soreness in the temples. I guess people with vision problems straining their eyes when using an optical device which may cause some headache or pain. And it doesn't depend on the quality of a device since those Orion binocs gave me no headache or discomfort.

You should also to check for diopter adjustment
Almost all binoculars offer some measure of diopter adjustment, so you usually don't have to worry about looking for it advertised on the product specifications.

Because a large number of people have different vision in each eye, it is helpful to have the ability to precisely adjust each eyepiece individually so the user doesn't have to close one eye in order to see things perfectly.

Chances are his current set are not properly alligned, which is causing his discomfort.
Out of columation would be the proper description, and would need a skilled technition to correct.
As for inexpensive yet good quality replacments, Ebay would be the place to look.
A clean set of Bausch & Lomb Zephers for example can as a rule be found for about $100 there.
And they will rival many of the expensive glasses made today.

Quick little test for ALL bino's at any cost is to to this quick little alignment test.

pic a long straight line such as powerline, horizon, etc.
next focus binos and then slowing start pulling them away from your eyes, you will start to see two separate circles form. You want the distant line to be even in both lenses.
bino.jpg

The attached pic shows an simple example.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.