Cheap Barrel

E R Shaw will chamber a barrel in popular calibers for less than $200. They are not finished/polished as pretty as some but I have done quite a few guns with those barrels and they all shoot good. Some are among my better shooters.

I've had very good luck buying used target barrels. .224, 6mm, 6.5mm, and .30 cal all come up for sale now and then. If you don't need a full 30", many long range barrels can be cut back at the chamber end and they'll shoot very well at less than half the cost of the new custom...otherwise I just buy new top-grade barrels. Brux barrels is a newer company making cut-rifled barrels, and I believe their prices are closer to $240 than the $300 for most of the other big name cut barrels.

Button barrels are more reasonable, Shilen's are in the $200 range last I looked.

"Does anyone know of a good barrel for $200 or less?"

In my experience with this game you really do get what you pay for. If you want a "good" barrel for $200 or less don't expect peak performance. msalm has the cheapest way of geting a good barrel for less, but you never know, some of the bargain barrels occasionally put out a good one too.

Oh yeah, and there's McGowan. Under new ownership and from what I understand they have some talented people there. They're getting back into the market and their barrels may be real sleepers at a real decent price.

I meant to try one of theirs but I got tangled up in cut rifled tubes.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.