Cheap ammo sufficient for barrel break-in??

Darryl Cassel

Monte

You can use the older and cheaper ammo for barrel break in.

My procedure is.
1 shot and clean 5x in a row, then 2 shots and clean 5x in a row then 3 shots and clean 5X in a row.
That's a total of 30 rounds fired. You should start to feel the barrel smooth out at around 15 to 20 rounds.

I also use JB compound after about 15 rounds have been fired in the break in period.

When I clean between firings, I use Shooters choice on a wet patch and run it though the bore several times. Then wet the brush with shooters choice and run it in and out 10X times. Then take a clean patch and get the dirt and junk out and then another until it is reasonably clean. Then fire another round and do it all again.

When you use JB compound, wet a patch with Shooters scoce and run it in the barrel after you have cleaned and dried it. Then take that sam patch that has shooters choice on it and cover it good with JB. Run that in the bore the entire length (back and forth) no more then 12 to 20 times.

Along the way in the breakin period, I also use Sweets to make sure the copper is coming out and this will remove any left in the bore.

After your all done cleaning your rifle and going to put it away, run a patch of Kroil in the bore to seal it from any moisture.

You can also run Kroil in the bore at the end of each breakin cleaning cycle and before you shoot the next shot. Much less wear on the barrel over a dry bore.
My first shot during match shooting is with a WET kroiled barrel. A dry clean bore has all the unburned powder graphite residue
removed and that's what lubricates the bore from shot to shot. The first shot should be lubricated also---hence the Kroiled first shot.
This is the way that has given me the best results.

I had over 1500 rounds on a 308 Bear that I took to Bruce to have the barrel set back and he said that barrel looked like it only had 500 Rounds at the most through it. Maybe the wet Kroil first shot works?

Darryl Cassel

Darryl,

Thanks for the Kroil tip! I usually have a can of it sitting on the bench, as Kroil and JB's works pretty well on my barrels that I shoot moly in. As far as the lubed first shot, I will try that, as I have a 40XB that after cleaning, the first couple of shots are off a couple inches to the right, sure as death-n-taxes. I've started playing w/ running a patch wet w/ BreakFree CLP down the bore, but forgot to pay attention last time to see if it worked.

Monte

I have never before had the patience to do a formal barrel break in, so this is a new one for me.

I have a Rem 700VS in .308. Dies and other stuff are still incoming. I have 60rds of el-cheapo import 7.62x51 NATO ammo that I had hope would be sufficient for barrel break in purposes i.e. the shoot-one-clean-one, shoot-a-couple-clean strings. Does it really matter at this point what kind of ammo I break in w/? For after the basic break in is done, I have a box of Federal Gold Medal Match (168gr SMK) for base-line testing, and after that I have a couple of weights of SMKs, Varget, Winchester cases, and CCI BR2 primers on hand for serious load development. But I'd just as soon not waste the 'good stuff' on barrel break in if not necessary.

Suggestions, comments?

TIA,

Monte

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.