cheap 22-250 project

mark223

Cheap 22-250 with 1/9 twist... I have a 110 sav Tactical in 223 w/ 1-9 barrel. Shoots great but I don't need it. I can re-chamber for about $75. Add $50 for new bolt head, extractor, pins, springs, mag box & follower. Another $25 for S&H. Also add about $50 for stuff I absolutely have to have that I don't even know I want yet.

It should handle the long 75 Amax and 80 Sie bullets as well as the lighter projectiles. Not looking to kill anything except paper. The Amax should still be super son. at about 1200 yds. I doubt I'd win any serious 1000 yd benchrest matches but it would be a nice rig for Coyotes that approach the 4 digit range figure.

Has anyone else out there done this? Thoughts?

Semper Fi ….......... mark

Most recommend 1 in 7 to 1 in 8 twist for the bullets you mentioned. For those '4 digit' yardages you spoke of, most are using a larger case like the .22-243 or .22-6mmRem. Your bullet needs to stay super sonic to be stable (accurate) and you just don't have enough starting velocity for those heavy bullets. Going to the A.I. will help some.

Topbrass and Shortgrass, (sounds like a country western band!)

I agree with both of you, but... If I need to get seroius about a 1000 yards I'd use a 300 WSM, or any of several rounds I already have available that start with a 6.5 bullet.

The rifle I want to use for this project is currently in .223 rem and it handels both of Hornaday's 75 gr bullets fairly well, and Sie 77s, as in sub MOA to around 700 yds and 2 MOA or less, to 1000 yds. (And I'm positive that you are also correct that in this current 223 rem state, the rounds fall under 1150 fps far short of the 1000 yard mark.) Therefore I'm confident that this this barrel in 1-9 will stabilize the same if made into a 22-250. And I agree that a 1-8 or 7 would most likely be better but the 1-9 is what I already "have" and am willing to experiment with. [that is part of my "cheap" skate nature :)]

As for other .224 based cartridges, I don't want to mess around forming brass and 22-250 ammo is common in this area (northern Nebraska). I also own Arcadian Marksmanship Club LDT, so once fired 22-250 is free and the other 22's mentioned have brass that is semi precious and mostly a reloader's round therefore not likely left at the range.

The sniper rifle I cart around in the trunk for work is a .243 Win. I cannot shoot reloads for police work so I end up with a fair amount of 1st round brass from that. If I ever do think I need to reform any brass for the 22-250, then my spent brass from the 243 is an excellent and well "known" source.

I will reload for this project but won't get as serious as many who frequent this site. I don't have the time. I will retire from law enforcment in less than a year and HOPEFULLY will have more time to reload then.

I'm just thinking that a "store bought" 22-250 with a 12" twist shoots as well as they do for the more common ammo available, then perhaps this 1/9 will do all that and perhaps a little more using heavier stuff and be less of a wind pig.

I have no history with .224 80gr or heavier bullets. If anyone has any experience with a 22-250 and a 1/9 24" barrel, I'd like to hear about it. I'm all ears, and according to my wife, there isn't much between them!

Any suggestions???

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.