Chassis vs stock for 6.5 prc pack gun?

Mesa Altitude stock or XLR element 3.0 magnesium chassis

• Mesa Altitude stock

Votes: 24 57.1%
  • XLR element 3.0 magnesium

Votes: 18 42.9%

• Total voters
I don't have experience with either of your options but I did go kind of whole-hog into the chassis gun thing. Bought a 338lm and an almost identical 308 as a trainer because it thought they'd be great. I haven't gotten a lot of time down on them yet, but I have to say, for hunting I really like a traditional stock much better. The rifles feel odd trying to shoot offhand, and it takes me longer to get set up on them comfortably. I hadn't done anything other than handle chassis rifles at gun shows before I bought them. I'm currently looking at good options for a traditional long range stock to try on the 308.

Regarding carrying it on a sling, get a stock or chassis that has the side mounted flush cups and you'll be good. I carried mine a handful of miles last season that way and if you put the sling opposite the bolt it's very comfortable

Thanks for your response and insight

I like chassis for precision rifle shooting but personally prefer more traditional stocks for hunting.

Firstly, because I don't like detachable magazines on my hunting rifles. I dropped and almost lost an $80 AI magazine once and have had others come loose or barely get caught in time. This is also just one more way for brush and dust to get into the gun, and where I hunt everything gets thrashed and dirty. Chassis are typically less closed systems which also doesn't prevent debris from entering. As far as I know, most chassis use a DBM (which is kind of the point) other than the Outdoorsman's or something more hybrid style like the GRS Warg. As others have mentioned, metal and even hard plastic get cold. Traditional stocks are less pokey if you sling the gun for a scout/glass. When hunting I am either hiking or sitting with a tripod, I have never once shot anything from a bipod. To me, a chassis or rifle stock with a more vertical grip is better suited for prone or tripod. I like a little more traditional stock to facilitate that chance of a standing/free hand, but also tripod.

Folding stocks are good for storage, but a hinge mechanism is just adding weight to your system and is something else that can get obstructed with rocks and debris.

I think carbon fiber stocks have a lot going for them, so I would opt for the Mesa or an AG composites. Stocky's used to partner with AG, but now make their own clone/copy NextGen UltraLite stocks. Fairly reasonably priced, and don't have the lead times of a custom stock.

Last edited:
I've got a lot of stocked rifles, couple comp setups with xlr, mdt and krg chassis. I just orderes 2x xlr magnesium chassis, one for Tikka LA and for one for rem 700 la. Will pretty much handle all my hunting and long range setups. I'm excited, they just got coated the other day. I know there are 3 in photo, ones for a friend.
Screenshot_20200520-105253.jpg

Chassis will never be as light as a CF stock. Also, consider the re-education needed to conform to the chassis versus your long use of stocks. They both have their advantages, but it all boils down to preference. If I was building a pack rifle like a PRC, I would and have chosen a CF stock.
Besides, have you considered the potential failures of a pack rifle having more moving parts and failure points? No offense XLR, but I've had some issues arise with my Element and Evolution chassis that could never occur with a traditional stock.
Good luck with your quest and let us know what you choose!
Pics are a must.
And the Chassis is too cold in the mountains and cold temps. Remember the movie "A Christmas story". The boy stuck his tongue to the metal flag pile and tongue froze to pole. Just saying. Lol

Is anyone making a light aftermarket chassis that folds to the right over a M700 bolt ala the CA MPR?

How does that break help with recoil? I am looking to build a 300 prc or 28 nosler with same suppressor and looking for something not punishing to shoot. Does it help with felt recoil?
It works well. It's dif than a normal brake due to impulse wave but it's noticeable reduction

I like it. It's fun. This is an older photo and have done some upgrades etc since. Basically the same tho. I run a erblestock pack with the scabbard folded up and flat with the bottom of the pack. I run the rifle stock folded and butt down. That allows the pack to ride on the seat directly in line with my back and it reduces the barrel up height by the folded length, roughly 13". I still have a longer barrel profile with can but running a 18" and 6" can will net 24" vs a 22" and 7" at 29 (my future set up). I have the barrel, just waiting for the new can.

IMG_2201.JPG

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts