Chassis vs stock for 6.5 prc pack gun?

Mesa Altitude stock or XLR element 3.0 magnesium chassis

• Mesa Altitude stock

Votes: 24 57.1%
  • XLR element 3.0 magnesium

Votes: 18 42.9%

• Total voters
Yup, Lone Peak Razor Ti, 28" Proof Sendero. I use a 3 round Accurate mag to save a small amount of weight and its lower profile. It'll gain a pound any day now once my TBAC 338 ULTRA gets approved. 14 months and counting . . .

Love my chassis for hunting and been using for several years. I have no desire to use a trad stock.
F3AB7DC4-B984-4200-9BEF-3A0D5B2C2CA9.jpeg

that magnesium XLR chassis is fantastic...I just got my second one. Chassis are also so much stronger than fiberglass or CF stocks that I believe accuracy tends to be better in them

do find it hard or awkward to shoulder carry during spot and stalk type hunting?
Oh man not even remotely. I use a magpul sling and front carry. If you have used ar's or shot the m4 for le or military it's the same feel. Very comfy. I can shoulder from the carry position without unslinging. Back carry isn't an issue either especially since my chassis has multiple flush cup connection points. I prefer to carry the rifle in my scabbard in the pack for hands free and I run the folder down so it's lower profile. I do hunt in the winter on my snowbike and run the folder down, barrel up, and I can keep the profile low. Only issue I have is scabbard carry on a horse. I have to have a xl scabbard for that but it's not too bad.
1E676547-EFDE-40AF-B1E3-3C7845ABCF90.jpeg

Another vote for the Mesa stock, far fewer things to potentially hang up on a limb or whatever plus aluminum is much noisier if you happen to bang it against something and maybe a little less expensive for the Mesa if that matters.

I have the magnesium element on my hunting rifle now. It's is EXTREMELY light. I was crunching the numbers trying to keep weight as low as possible. As well as keeping cost as low as possible. I looked at several of the stocks that I liked, but none had the features I wanted in the price range I was looking for.

Adjustable cheek rest, detach magazine, adjustable LOP.

The way I looked at it, by the time I bought the stock I wanted, and added bottom metal I was already over what I wanted to pay, and the weight was identical. As of right now my rifle is right at 10lbs. I know I can easily shed at least 2 lbs by switching stocks and scopes.

Rifle is a ARC nucleus LA with 20 moa rail (over 2lbs right here)
28" proof sendero .300 WM (could have easily went lighter contour and shorter 22-24" and saved several oz)
Meopta 5-30 /34mm Just over 2lbs with rings (warne steel)
I'm using a Luth AR mba-1 I think , which isn't light but can be easily changed at any time.

It is 100% adjustable for LOP and cheek height, and worth every penny for me. I may have overlooked some really good CF stocks, but I think for a long range hunting rifle, the light weight carbon stock just didn't have what I wanted.

As for it being cold, I have no dog in that fight, yes it's gonna be cold, but when I'm hiking , it's strapped on my pack, when I'm setup, it will be on the tripod most likely

I was just in the same boat, deciding between the AG Alpine Hunter vs the Magnesium 3.0 ... I ordered the XLR and can't wait to receive it! Like T3 said above, after adding bottom metal the prices are comparable and I love the chassis feel compared to traditional stocks. I put the CF buttstock on mine with the folding adaptor with the vertical ergo grip, should be about 36oz.

Tagging in on this. With the XLR sale last month I bought four magnesium stocks. I'm currently running Manners EH1's on my hunting rifles. The advertised weight of the XLR's is lighter than the weight on my EH1's. I can always add weight to the chassis, too, which can't easily be done with a traditional stock. If I take to the chassis I'll be selling the Manners'.

I carry my rifles on the SG gunbearer system while hunting. When packing out an elk I tried to carry the EH1 on the pack which was awkward. I'm hoping the folding chassis will improve that experience.

I'm making a 6.5 PRC for a buddy and he got the Proof Research carbon stock with the Lone Peak Fuzion Ti. Wow, that stock is light.!

I am building a 6.5 prc for a lightweight backcountry pack gun and am debating between a Mesa Altitude stock or a XLR Element 3.0 Magnesium Chassis system in carbon. I am going to be hunting with a 7in suppressor so a folding stock of a chassis system would be nice. I have only hunted with stocks, and my concern is that the chassis system would be awkward to carry around with an over the should sling. I appreciate any feedback for the positives and negatives of each for a pack gun. TIA

I don't have experience with either of your options but I did go kind of whole-hog into the chassis gun thing. Bought a 338lm and an almost identical 308 as a trainer because it thought they'd be great. I haven't gotten a lot of time down on them yet, but I have to say, for hunting I really like a traditional stock much better. The rifles feel odd trying to shoot offhand, and it takes me longer to get set up on them comfortably. I hadn't done anything other than handle chassis rifles at gun shows before I bought them. I'm currently looking at good options for a traditional long range stock to try on the 308.

Regarding carrying it on a sling, get a stock or chassis that has the side mounted flush cups and you'll be good. I carried mine a handful of miles last season that way and if you put the sling opposite the bolt it's very comfortable

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.