Chassis vs stock for 6.5 prc pack gun?

Mesa Altitude stock or XLR element 3.0 magnesium chassis

• Mesa Altitude stock

Votes: 24 57.1%
  • XLR element 3.0 magnesium

Votes: 18 42.9%

• Total voters

Chaddrx

I am building a 6.5 prc for a lightweight backcountry pack gun and am debating between a Mesa Altitude stock or a XLR Element 3.0 Magnesium Chassis system in carbon. I am going to be hunting with a 7in suppressor so a folding stock of a chassis system would be nice. I have only hunted with stocks, and my concern is that the chassis system would be awkward to carry around with an over the should sling. I appreciate any feedback for the positives and negatives of each for a pack gun. TIA

Chassis will never be as light as a CF stock. Also, consider the re-education needed to conform to the chassis versus your long use of stocks. They both have their advantages, but it all boils down to preference. If I was building a pack rifle like a PRC, I would and have chosen a CF stock.
Besides, have you considered the potential failures of a pack rifle having more moving parts and failure points? No offense XLR, but I've had some issues arise with my Element and Evolution chassis that could never occur with a traditional stock.
Good luck with your quest and let us know what you choose!
Pics are a must.

20200429_172842.jpg

Ti/CF 300 Norma, XLR Element 3.0 . Weighs 8.2 lbs with a full mag and 4-16×42 ATACR.

It's going to be great, I just got it together about a month ago but I really like it. I hunt Hells Canyon and it doesn't get much rougher than that.

That is lighter than I would have guessed. I am trying to decide if I want to do a build myself in the 300 NMI with the same chassis.

I doubt you'll be disappointed, unless you hate chassis in general. You could be a good bit lighter than mine with a different scope and bipod.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.