Chassis/rifle action misalignment

JD-ODINSON

So I'm wanting some opinions on what the issue may be. I ordered a Grayboe Neo chassis from Grayboe. When I received it, I place my Bergara action into it but it doesn't seem to line up square in the chassis.

The action seems to cant to the left. When I mounted the rail and scope, and leveled the scope to the rail and then getting behind the rifle it seemed off.

The integrated bubble level on the chassis and a bubble level on the rail do not line up. Even placed a level inside the action. The rail, scope and rifle action all line up together but the chassis level does not.

There's no wiggle or play between the action and chassis, it's a very clean, tight fit. Although the action screws seems to bind on the chassis every half turn when mounting the action.

My question is, would this be a Grayboe chassis issue or could it be the Bergara scope rail holes being tapped off center?

Bergara .308,
Leupold 20moa rail,
Leupold VX-5HD,
Leupold rings,
Grayboe Neo chassis

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220104-211113_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220104-211113_Gallery.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 246
  • 20220104_210827.jpg
    20220104_210827.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 227
  • 20220114_162639.jpg
    20220114_162639.jpg
    827.7 KB · Views: 226
Do you have a known good rail you could mount to, eliminate the possibility of your current rail being miss drilled, or machined incorrectly? I would start simple. By your pics, the action looks square with the chassis to me. my .02

I would put a known good level across the back of the stock and compare to stock level. I doubt they will match. Then using the back level for reference put another lever on the internal rails of the action. One of these should point out what is lying. Good luck!
Paul

Something sure sounds out of whack. I'd give Grayboe a call and explain what your seeing. They may have you send the pictures and ask you to try a few things to sort it out.

How did the barreled action look in the original stock?

You can also use a small level,6-8'' but in the plumb position.When your chasis bubble showes level,if yo hold level plumb through centerline axis of butt stock,they should match.This would be just one part solved,then it would move on to if it was inlet plumb,then to rail.

I would put a known good level across the back of the stock and compare to stock level. I doubt they will match. Then using the back level for reference put another lever on the internal rails of the action. One of these should point out what is lying. Good luck!
Paul
Yesterday afternoon I did that exact thing. I put a level across the stock and it lined up perfectly with the stock level, then I placed one across the internal action rails and it showed it was canted to the left.

Any parts hanging up when dropping the action in the chassis? Maybe part of the trigger? Could be hitting enough to force the action in slightly off, especially if your action screws are binding at all when running them in.

Any parts hanging up when dropping the action in the chassis? Maybe part of the trigger? Could be hitting enough to force the action in slightly off, especially if your action screws are binding at all when running them in.
Not that I've noticed yet. I've taken it apart many times now to see what I can feel and to look for any rub marks anywhere. The only thing I've noticed recently is that looking into the shaft that the action holes are in, the holes don't seem to be centered in the shaft.....

Visually, it does look like the scope base mount may be off excessively, and may need to be addressed. It is common with various chassis's for the chassis level to be slightly off compared to a rail level. The method I use is to give priority to the chassis level. I will then use Vertical Alignment Tool(Brownells) to center the scope over the bore, Then, plumb the reticle either by rear projection/plumb line, scope turret top, etc. When mounting this way any misalignment with the action rail is barely noticeable and the rifle shoots true. With the rifle shown, the chassis levels bubble was centered in an index line when the action was level. Used the above procedure and the rifle was visually good, as was the site alignment using the cassis level.
F41F4912-318B-401F-AECE-275DE79A56D1.jpeg

So I'm wanting some opinions on what the issue may be. I ordered a Grayboe Neo chassis from Grayboe. When I received it, I place my Bergara action into it but it doesn't seem to line up square in the chassis.

The action seems to cant to the left. When I mounted the rail and scope, and leveled the scope to the rail and then getting behind the rifle it seemed off.

The integrated bubble level on the chassis and a bubble level on the rail do not line up. Even placed a level inside the action. The rail, scope and rifle action all line up together but the chassis level does not.

There's no wiggle or play between the action and chassis, it's a very clean, tight fit. Although the action screws seems to bind on the chassis every half turn when mounting the action.

My question is, would this be a Grayboe chassis issue or could it be the Bergara scope rail holes being tapped off center?

Bergara .308,
Leupold 20moa rail,
Leupold VX-5HD,
Leupold rings,
Grayboe Neo chassis
JD,

How does the system group or do on a Cold Bore series?

I was taught that Balistic solutions are based on a three axis (x,y, & z) representation. The most important part is the bore line (extended) followed by the sighting system sight line (extended) and lastly the first two Axis being plumb/perpendicular to the line extended to the center of the Earth for terrestrial shooting.
Any misalignment of other components, including the shooter, are most all to be considered cosmetic issues that are delt with if they bother you and you have the money to spend on them.
The above is in no way meant to condone a manufacturer's failure to deliver a functionally sound product that does not meet the advertised specifications.
I guess in a nutshell: POA needs to meet up with POI on a routine basis is all i'm actually interested in.

JD,

How does the system group or do on a Cold Bore series?

I was taught that Balistic solutions are based on a three axis (x,y, & z) representation. The most important part is the bore line (extended) followed by the sighting system sight line (extended) and lastly the first two Axis being plumb/perpendicular to the line extended to the center of the Earth for terrestrial shooting.
Any misalignment of other components, including the shooter, are most all to be considered cosmetic issues that are delt with if they bother you and you have the money to spend on them.
The above is in no way meant to condone a manufacturer's failure to deliver a functionally sound product that does not meet the advertised specifications.
I guess in a nutshell: POA needs to meet up with POI on a routine basis is all i'm actually interested in.
It groups well under moa at 200 so far. I just worry if the scope is not aligned with the axis of the bore, that point of impact will change at further distance