Chassis options for Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Zipdrive

I have a Ruger M77 Hawkeye in 338 RCM with the current plastic stock. And the stock works fine as is, but I wanted change to a chassis system to make it easier to fit the rifle to me. I need a little more comb height. The challenge is that I have not found anything execpt GRS. Are they the only option? And it it considered just a stock (wood only no aluminum or steel embedded in it for the action to sit against)?

Mine is a MDT LSS with magpul stock and folder. You will have to mill your action, or butcher your AICS mags for them to work with the 77 in a chassis.

IMG_6952.JPG

The only Chassis I could find to fit my Ruger 77 MKII in .204 was the MDT. I still had to grind& Polish the feed ramp down and cut up the magazine. to make it fit. I have both the solid stock and folder on LSS

Attachments

• MDT Chasis.jpg
    MDT Chasis.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 1,061
  • MDT Chasis2.jpg
    MDT Chasis2.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 850
  • Ruger 77 MKII.jpg
    Ruger 77 MKII.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 650
  • Ruger 77.jpg
    Ruger 77.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 2,435
Huntsman and Coyote, are either of your rifles a hawkeye?

Huntsman, what part of the action would you have to mill? I'm much more open to cutting mags vs actions.

Seems that the hawkeye has a canted front bolt (somewhere around 45 deg, but I have not measured it yet), vs. both screws being orthogonal to the action.

I just picked up a Magpul Hunter American. I think it has an aluminum insert. I'm looking at measuring everything and welding the front action hole and machining it for the hawkeye if it closely matches up except for the angle of the action hole.

Huntsman, what part of the action would you have to mill? I'm much more open to cutting mags vs actions.

Seems that the hawkeye has a canted front bolt (somewhere around 45 deg, but I have not measured it yet), vs. both screws being orthogonal to the action.

I just picked up a Magpul Hunter American. I think it has an aluminum insert. I'm looking at measuring everything and welding the front action hole and machining it for the hawkeye if it closely matches up except for the angle of the action hole.
I bought my LSS chassis quite a while ago for my Ruger 77 Mark II. It at the time was the only option for a Ruger Rifle to change to a chassis. I had to make modifications to the magazine to make it fit. I also had to grind down the feed ramp on the action to get it to cycle. This is what MDT has on their instructions for the LSS Gen2:

Ruger Scout Drop- in for Ruger Gunsite Scout rifles only. Will not fit older Tang safety Ruger M77. Mark II and Hawkeye short action will bolt in, but modifications to the magazines and ejector may be required. Rifles with two- stage triggers will also require modifications to the chassis. The Ruger Gunsite Scout in 223/5.56mm requires the use of this magazine http://shopruger.com/556-NATO-10-Round-Magazine/productinfo/90458/

If all you really need is adjustable comb height check out the options available at Boyds gun stocks. I have several of their laminated woods stocks and they work very well. Modifying the Mark 2 or Hawkeye to fit a chassis stock with removable magazine is a lot of work.

Running into the same dilemma here. Did you find a solution?

Running into the same dilemma here. Did you find a solution?
Not a lot of action on this thread. I rely on Hogue full bedding block over molded stocks or Boyd's laminated stocks. Neither would be considered a chassis stock system, but they are stiff and solid platforms.

I was going to convert my .308 to the Gun-site Scout configuration, but I was having trouble procuring the bottom metal components. Before long a friend convinced me to sell the rifle to him without the original stock.

I still have the Scout stock available if any one is interested...