Chasing the lands.

Interesting video. Tongue-in-cheeck comment follows: So - snugly seating a bullet 50 thousandths too long as he suggests, put it in, close the bolt, measure from the front of barrel to the tip of the bullet, remove the bullet, close bolt, measure the distance from front of the barrel to the bolt face. And voila - you have your jammed bullet seating depth. Then do what you want with that info. Seems like that gets to the same measurment without a lot of extraneous work or calculations. I also suppose if you notice accuracy falling off, you recheck your measurements, powder, etc. Seems intutitively obvious that shooting bullets thru a barrel is not a static process, and one would expect changes over time and compensate for them.

Last edited:
Why not start at the short end and let the barrel grow thru the node? Seems like you may never have to adjust seating depth that way? Maybe I'm looking at it wrong?
Unless i misunderstood he is starting with the depth closest to the lands and now has .006 for barrel to change before needing to change seating depth. Longer seating depth= closer to lands.

Unless i misunderstood he is starting with the depth closest to the lands and now has .006 for barrel to change before needing to change seating depth. Longer seating depth= closer to lands.
You'll have to excuse me, I had a senior moment (sadly I'm not there yet) or maybe blame it on the whiskey? My thought process was there, just backwards. Was hoping nobody would catch it.....ooops!

I use the Hornady tool with modified cases. It works perfect when using a wooden dowel rod, pushed in from the muzzle till it touches the bullet tip. You can work the bullet back n forth feeling the bullet "touch" the lands and also jam into the lands. Then measure OAL.

ITS SO SIMPLE.
An old marine sniper taught me that one. Rather than wood, I use an aluminum rod.

He's finding an accurate seating depth node which most of us do, the when he says" every once in a while load 3 rounds 3-4 thou longer than current depth. If that shoots good, that's your new seating depth." He just chased the distance from ogive to lands. This guys a good shooter and pretty informative, but the title of this video completely contradicts his methodology. Do as I do but not what I say is more like it!

Yes he offends me, the guy is a twit!!

Sorry JE, while I respect your experience I dont get anything worthwhile from this guy including in his NK sizing vid!

Just another youtuber trying to make a living from giving HIS own opinion which personally Id dont need.

He's finding an accurate seating depth node which most of us do, the when he says" every once in a while load 3 rounds 3-4 thou longer than current depth. If that shoots good, that's your new seating depth." He just chased the distance from ogive to lands. This guys a good shooter and pretty informative, but the title of this video completely contradicts his methodology. Do as I do but not what I say is more like it!
I agre.
Title of the video is not so precise.

But he is not chassing the lands exactly.
He say that You dont need to measure where is land more than once.
And Yes I agree he again "chased the land" but what he is done is actually more chased the node.
I hope so You understand me.

Like most, I have a different method and philosophy to reach the desired seating but both ways shone will get you there fairly accurately. I do have different requirements than some, and have reasons for these requirements.

I rely on true measurements not feel. The instruments don't lie or have a reason to.
First, I don't use a bullet more than once or twice for any measurement that applies force of any kind because it can deform the bullet slightly and give false readings. (When you jam the bullet in the chamber using the bolt some deformation of the bullet jacket will take place. Although slight, it is still not representative of the new bullets in the un-fired form. For true accuracy, the base to Ogive must be measured on each bullet. If these dimensions vary, problems can occur if the bullets are jammed into the lands because of the differences bullet to bullet. Most methods will get you off the lands for safety, but How much, is what I am looking for.

Like many things in this sport, very few agree on everything or every aspect of someones method. most methods shone will keep you off the lands if measured/performed properly as in the video.
I rarely agree with everything on most videos, but many have merit and can help someone just getting started.

I am trying to put together a video my self on this and show the method I prefer to use that can/will give me precise measurements with each type of bullet that will be used in a particular rifle/chamber and record all of the measurements for that chamber. I find that if I do a better job of measuring in the beginning, it is easier to find that accuracy node.

The one thing that I definitely don't ever do is jam the bullet into the lands and prefer to not touch them ether because of the slight differences in bullets. I find that if best accuracy is in this state, changing the load can/will solve this and keep you much safer and trouble free.

Being off the lands is the safest, how much is an individual thing. In many cases this kind of precision loading is/may not be necessary or even measurable for some, so take it for what it is worth. If I can squeeze .010 thousandths more out of a load, I will but in many cases it is not necessary, so as long as the load performs for the type of use intended, some of these exact measurements will not be required, But for pure accuracy, leave no stone un turned.

J E CUSTOM
Looking forward to see your video.

Yes he offends me, the guy is a twit!!

Sorry JE, while I respect your experience I dont get anything worthwhile from this guy including in his NK sizing vid!

Just another youtuber trying to make a living from giving HIS own opinion which personally Id dont need.

Keeping In mind that this is a tough crowd to satisfy with any Video, I still post many that have "some" good content and can start a good debate to show the many ways to do something. Most good Video's contain some good information and plenty of opinions. So I believe in showing them and letting the viewer sort the wheat from the chaff.

One thing I can safely say, is on this site nothing is 100% agreed on:) but it does keep discussions interesting. I don't agree with much of the things I hear, and I'm sure that many disagree with some of my Videos but if they can extract one thing that helps them, then it has been a positive effect.

There are many "Experts" that I simply don't agree with based on "My" experiences and on my uses. But that's ok and if we give the newer shooter other opinions and data they can form their own opinions. Most of the older crowd have their own methods and opinions and stick to them.
Mine are based on proof, not opinions and the reason I am slow to change.

I respect most opinions if they are fact based even though I don't agree with them. I also call BS when I hear or read it.

Thanks, no apology necessary đź‘Ť

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
I don't disagree with the mans info, but his presentation of it was scattered, unprepared. Like it was the first time he had to explain his principle and put it on video. I doubt that under those circumstances I would do better.

After thinkin' bout' it while I ran the dog, had supper, read a couple posts of those who got it ( guess I'm dense), it made better sense. It's just planning for known wear/erosion in the throat/rifling juncture. An indicator of his experience not his lecturing abilities.

Brings up a question though.

What steel is used for rifle barrels?

In this country I believe we use chrome-moly ?

In Europe don't they use chrome-vanadium ?

Which one would have the longest life in the throat/rifling juncture ? Or is there another maybe newer steel that would work better ?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts