Charged by a sow black bear yesterday............

Catahoula

Hey Guys, A friend & I have been putting a lot of effort into trying to call a black bear this spring. We have to be very careful how we setup because there are Grizzly where we hunt. Yesterday we were on a ridge that always has good bear activity. I had a 300 win mag & he was packing a bow. I also had my 2 dogs hiking with us. My friend his Primos mouth call briefly & right away I seen something black moving down the ridge. All of a sudden there are 4 bears loping towards us. A sow & 3 two year old cubs. The cubs stopped coming at about 60 yards. The mother kept coming to about 20 yards. I hurried & stood up thinking she would leave after seeing a human. WRONG! She put her head down & came at a full blown charge. This is the 4th time I have been charged & the bears have always stopped. This bear had no bluff in her. My friend was behind me & I did not want to shoot her. By now she was way too close to aim my rifle so I held it hip level & decided that if she got within a couple feet I would pull the trigger. At about 7-10 feet my 2 dogs came around me & got in her face. She took a swat at my female. The dog dodged it & went right back in front of here. They had about a 10 second stare down with their noses only inches apart. Then the bear turned & went up a tree.
I am very lucky to get out of that situation uninjured & the bear was very lucky to not have been shot. Everyone came out OK, even my dogs. My friend lost his mouth call in the rodeo but I am going to buy him a new one.
Trust me, that is a situation you don't want to find yourself in! Next time I try calling a blackie you can bet I will have a can of bear spray.
Thanks, Kirk

Wow! I have been charged by a grizzly a couple of times and that is about as frightful of an experience I care to ever be in again. Good thing the experienced guide knew what actions to take. The remainder of the hunt I found myself occasionally scanning our back trail to ensure no intruders were stalking us from behind. Never going to forget that encounter.

Glad to hear all went well for y'all and the bear.

........We have to be very careful how we setup because there are Grizzly where we hunt.

.....My friend lost his mouth call in the rodeo but I am going to buy him a new one

It seems the best bear country any more has grizzlies. The legal headaches of having to shoot one keeps me away from a couple of spots.

Wait a couple of days in case swallowed it!:D

Hey Guys, Thanks for replying. Been reflecting on this experience a lot today. I really think bear spray would have diffused the situation.
All you bear hunters be safe,
Thanks, Kirk

Wow, Kirk. I bet that had your heart pumping! Thank goodness for a couple of good dogs. The bear spray does sound like a good idea. I've seen a video on it and it will spray out a good 20 feet.

P.S. Another tip. Just remember, you don't have to outrun the bear, you just have to outrun the other guy!:D

Hey Sambo, Thanks for the reply. Can't remember the last time I had an adrenaline rush like this one. There is nothing like watching your 2 dogs back a bear off close enough that you could kick it. Spend enough time in the outdoors & you are going to see some pretty incredible stuff.
It's kinda like "hold my beer & watch this ****"!!!!!
Thanks, Kirk

Hey Guys, A friend & I have been putting a lot of effort into trying to call a black bear this spring. We have to be very careful how we setup because there are Grizzly where we hunt. Yesterday we were on a ridge that always has good bear activity. I had a 300 win mag & he was packing a bow. I also had my 2 dogs hiking with us. My friend his Primos mouth call briefly & right away I seen something black moving down the ridge. All of a sudden there are 4 bears loping towards us. A sow & 3 two year old cubs. The cubs stopped coming at about 60 yards. The mother kept coming to about 20 yards. I hurried & stood up thinking she would leave after seeing a human. WRONG! She put her head down & came at a full blown charge. This is the 4th time I have been charged & the bears have always stopped. This bear had no bluff in her. My friend was behind me & I did not want to shoot her. By now she was way too close to aim my rifle so I held it hip level & decided that if she got within a couple feet I would pull the trigger. At about 7-10 feet my 2 dogs came around me & got in her face. She took a swat at my female. The dog dodged it & went right back in front of here. They had about a 10 second stare down with their noses only inches apart. Then the bear turned & went up a tree.
I am very lucky to get out of that situation uninjured & the bear was very lucky to not have been shot. Everyone came out OK, even my dogs. My friend lost his mouth call in the rodeo but I am going to buy him a new one.
Trust me, that is a situation you don't want to find yourself in! Next time I try calling a blackie you can bet I will have a can of bear spray.
Thanks, Kirk

Glad everything turned out OK. I always carry my .44 Mag and bear spray along with my Karelian Bar Dog when out in bear country (not hunting).

I'm surprised your dogs let the bear get that close to you/them.

Hey Feenix & Rocky, thanks for the replies! My dogs are both Catahoula Curs but they are not "bear dogs". The reason they let the bear get close is because thats how they are trained. We go hiking 12 months out of the year & they stay at my heels. But they are protective. When the bear was charging they came out from behind me at the last second & confused her. (I think?) And yes they did get a huge treat that night. I spend time daily with these 2 dogs. They are getting old but they are my best friends. My wife would have killed me if the bear had got one of them down.
Anyway, all good. The bear, her cubs, my dogs and John & I made it home without a scratch. Don't get no better than that!!!
The dogs & I are leaving tomorrow morning for a 3 day bear hunt with a good friend from New Jersey.
Thanks, Kirk

Hey Feenix & Rocky, thanks for the replies! My dogs are both Catahoula Curs but they are not "bear dogs". The reason they let the bear get close is because thats how they are trained. We go hiking 12 months out of the year & they stay at my heels. But they are protective. When the bear was charging they came out from behind me at the last second & confused her. (I think?) And yes they did get a huge treat that night. I spend time daily with these 2 dogs. They are getting old but they are my best friends. My wife would have killed me if the bear had got one of them down.
Anyway, all good. The bear, her cubs, my dogs and John & I made it home without a scratch. Don't get no better than that!!!
The dogs & I are leaving tomorrow morning for a 3 day bear hunt with a good friend from New Jersey.
Thanks, Kirk

Catahoula cur would have been my guest based on your screen name. :D

They are amazing dogs for what they are bred. A friend has a Cataheeler (quite the combination) but is trained mostly for cattle/ranching work with the occasional mountain lion hunt.

Good luck on your hunt and be safe.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.