changing shooting positions

tracker12ga

I read somewhere that if you zero your rifle while sitting at a shooting bench, the POI will change if you shoot it from the prone position. Something about how your eye sees through the scope when your head is at different angles. is there any truth to this? If I'm shooting from the prone position at 400yds and figure out accurate DOPE, then shoot agian at 400yds but this time from the sitting position, is the DOPE I got from the prone going to work?

The only way to find out is to shoot from all of YOUR positions with YOUR rifle and see what happens. That's why I practice all the time from the positions that I shoot from with each rifle. Keep good records and practice your shooting positions so you shoot the same way each time in each position. Practice, practice, and more practice is name of the game! Have fun!

Changing anything in your firing sequence can have the ability to change your POI or open your groups. Moving from one postion to another can alter your sight picture, hold/grip, body position, point of contact with the ground, blah-blah-blah...The key is to properly fit your rifle/sight to you.
I usually only use a bench for testing a loads accuracy potential. Then get my dope from a prone bipod supported position because that's how I do most of my LR shooting. Then I shoot from alternate positions to check for any differences.

One thing that helped me to maintain a consistent cheek weld was installing a cheek piece on the comb of my stock. It originally was flat. Adding a cheek rest has helped to maintain consistent eye alignment whether lying down or sitting at the bench.

Tank

One thing that helped me to maintain a consistent cheek weld was installing a cheek piece on the comb of my stock. It originally was flat. Adding a cheek rest has helped to maintain consistent eye alignment whether lying down or sitting at the bench.

Tank

+1, good advice.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.