Changing Scopes to suit my rifles

drjjpdc

I have a Ruger No. 3 in .38-55 with a custom 28-29" barrel. I wanted to get into some longer distance shooting with paper and steel (including cowboy silhouette). I have 3 good candidates. I have a T/C in .223 with a 24" barrel, now wearing a Nikon Prostaff 3x9x40. A Ruger No. 1 in 7mm-08 wearing a Leupold Vxiii 4x12x40. I just bought a new Vortec 6x24x44 (I think).

Here's what I need help with. Besides the target work I just mentioned, I think one of these might make a good coyote combination. Maybe replace a scope on one of the .30-30's I have. I have one with a 26" cowboy barrel. I wish that I was a bit more west. I have a Savage Btvss in .17 HMR with another Nikon prostaff 3x9x40 that I thought would make a great critter rifle. Do you guys have any suggestions for me.

Put the 6-24 on the .223 and the 3-9 on the 38-55. Those are my thoughts and only a suggestion. To me less power is nice when shooting of hand like silhouette shooting.

Bill,
I don't know if I should have mentioned this and if it makes any difference in suggestions, but here goes. The T/C .223 has a 24" bull barrel, the Ruger No.3 in .38-55 also has a bull barrel 28"-29", the Ruger No. 1 has a standard barrel in 7mm-08. I am a cowboy silhouette shooter and I have a number of lever guns for that. I am also on permanent disability and I just turned 65, so I when I shoot if I need to I can sit if I need to. I only mentioned the .30-30 because it is one of my more flatter trajectory rifles with the .223 and the 7mm-08. Thank you and anyone else that looked at my post. I am really liking this site.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.