Changing Nightforce battery

howard3

I have a Nightforce 5.5-22x50 NXS and need to change the battery. The manual says to hold the parallax knob to keep it from moving and turn the cap clockwise. Mine is so tight I cannot get it to turn. Any suggestions?

Holding the body and turning the outer cover can be hard if it's very tight. It might be easier to do if the fingers used to hold the main body were in a rubber glove or had finger cots, that way they wouldn't slip. They can feel really tight, especially if put on too tight before.

This is a shot of the joint where it comes apart when it's tight.
DSC01771withcircleSmall.jpg

This is a shot of the joint with the cover part way off.
DSC01772withcircleSmall.jpg

This shows the cover and battery removed.
DSC01774Small.jpg

Thanks for the reply and the great pictures! I did try to open it wearing the nitrile gloves I use when cleaning my guns, but all I ended up with are sore fingers. I even put a small drop of Kroil on the joint. Guess I'll keep trying.

ss7mm,​

couple days ago I got my first Nightforce 5.5-22x56 NXS; bought it used and it had no manual. Good thing this question was asked.​

Lost Creek says it needs to turn counter clockwise.​

Is it clockwise or counter clockwise? Thanks!​

Yup, standard threads. Righty tighty, lefty loosey;)

I have the manual in PDF format. I'll email it to you if you want.

I recently looked at their newly updated website and don't see any manuals on there like before.

Me email is in my profile, if you want the manual send me an email with your email address. The email through this site won't allow attachments.

Last edited:
After putting a small drop of Kroil on the joint and letting it sit a day I was finally able to get the cap off. I bought the scope new a year ago and this was the first time I ever tried to take the cap off.

Thanks again ss7mm! Nightforce should use your pictures in their manual.

I've heard of people thinking the joint is the first line out from the hash marked section. They tried to hold the hash mark section and never did get it loose.

Nightforce could make their instructions on this a little clearer.:rolleyes:

I've heard of people thinking the joint is the first line out from the hash marked section. They tried to hold the hash mark section and never did get it loose.

Nightforce could make their instructions on this a little clearer.:rolleyes:

That's exactly how I had thought it to be. Thanks for clarifying it and again thanks for the user manuals.​

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts