Changing calibers?

mbigley

I take it that it doesn't have the new accu-trigger? If it doesn't, I would probably sell it and get one that did if you want savage. Otherwise I would look around for a gently used LR gun that if not in your choice of caliber (.300 RUM) could just be rebarreled.

OK, here goes! I have a SS/Laminated Savage 300 win mag in a heavy barrelled 112 w/Leupold 8.5-25x50 30mm tube TD. Bought the gun and scope used for a real good price with the intention of selling the Savage and using the scope off it for another gun. However, I have grown to like the gun and would consider having it rebarreled and rechambered to a 300RUM or 338. Is this a good platform to do so? Would I be better served to sell and start with a Rem. 700 action or custom action? My intention for this gun is LR targets at first then Deer and Antelope once I get comfortable enough for live game shots to 800 yds. The reason I am considering a rechamber is that I reload, I also have a Sako V 300 win mag SS/synthetic w/3.5-10x40 Zeiss. Therefore, to save confusion on the reloading table I would like a different chambering from one gun to another. Also does anybody know of any good gunsmiths to perform this service in the Colorado, Wyoming or Nebraska area? Thanks for your help.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.