Changing barrels

KSB209

I've been thinking about swapping my barrel on my 300WM to a Proof carbon to shave off some weight. I have no knowledge on doing it myself so I'm taking it to a smith. Question is....does it really matter who changes a barrel? I'm wondering if I should send the rifle and barrel to a reputable smith out of state or can anyone with the knowledge and tools do just as good of a job. Is there something I'm missing? I just don't know if it really matters for a simple task like swapping barrels.

Simple swap can be done by (just about) anyone. Make sure the guy you're working with has done a few of your action types in the past. Remington 700's a pretty straight forward with the correct tools (action wrench, barrel vice, "go" and "no-go" gauges), appropriate reamers. Your 'smith should know how to set-up the action and barrel to be concentric ("run out") so that when the reamer is run in to the new barrel, everything is dead on. There's more detail to it, but that should at least give you some questions to ask to determine if the 'smith you're talking to knows his stuff. From there, get a couple of references, and call them.

There is a huge difference between buying a prefit barrel for a barrel nut set-up (which is an easy DIY project if you are comfortable with setting the headspace) and having a barrel chambered and fitted to your action. The latter requires a lathe and associated tooling, precision measuring instruments, and considerable knowledge to do it correctly. If you are talking of a standard shouldered barrel (not one with a nut to lock into position) you will be sending it to a gunsmith unless you are willing to invest major $ and time for the proper machine tool/tooling/measuring equipment. I have the access to all the tooling/gauging and have run machine tools; my gunsmith does all my chambering/fitting.

One more quick question about head spacing. If I am primarily going to be shooting 165-180 grain bullets (Barnes or Hornady GMX) is there a difference in the way a smith would setup the new barrel considering the bullet itself is longer then a standard lead type projectile ?

rifle is 300WM.

Yes....the freebore will vary depending upon the length of the bullet chosen. A longer bullet would best be served by a longer freebore to avoid having to seat the bullet deeper in the case thus reducing available space for powder. However the length of the magazine will limit the OAL of the cartridge and this will become a factor in bullet choice unless seating the bullet deeper in the case is not a concern for you. This may seem a little complicated but these factors will determine the freebore your gunsmith will cut in your chambering job.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts