Changes to Small Arms shipping label requirements

sbruni

Just a heads up... After Dec 31 2020 shippers will no longer be permitted to ship packages with an ORM-D small arms cartridge label. You will still be able to ship ammo but must use the small quantity label (the white diamond with black stripe)

See below

Attachments

• B02C1613-66F4-4C86-8C7C-172F85D4B157.jpeg
    B02C1613-66F4-4C86-8C7C-172F85D4B157.jpeg
    25.3 KB · Views: 138
I was wondering how this was going to go. I had read on rokslide some guys talking about it but wasn't sure if it was going to cut out shipping ammo all together or just the decal was changing/ minor rules change.

Where do you get those decals? Ship by UPS? Is there an additional hazmat fee? Can I still ship a rifle by UPS to a dealer?

The label is just required to ship ammo. I usually print on paper, cut it out an use box tape to fix it to the carton. There are no additional fees to ship ammo. Nothing has changed regarding shipping firearms and powder... changes only apply to shipping small arms ammunition. You can still ship firearms to ffl holders. You still cannot ship powder or primers without hazmat licenses

sbruni, I think I'm reading your post right. But to clarify: I want to ship just bullets through the post office. Do I need to disclose?
I also want to ship rimfire ammo by UPS. What do I need to do, in both cases?

sbruni, I think I'm reading your post right. But to clarify: I want to ship just bullets through the post office. Do I need to disclose?
I also want to ship rimfire ammo by UPS. What do I need to do, in both cases?
DOT requires it so shipper doesn't matter and it has to be disclosed. I haven't looked into shipping through USPS so they might have more requirements, just do some searches on their website. The info is easy to find on FedEx and UPS websites, just search through it and you'll find it. If you rely on info others tell you your chances are pretty good to get bad info. Go to the horses mouth.

Just component bullets (not loaded ammo) are fine to ship usps- no declarations necessary-- but pack them well so they don't come loose.

Rimfire ammo would be the new label showed above through ups( or fed ex) HUB only ( not a ups store) , my suggestion is to go online to the ups web page and print out the specifics about shipping ammo.( just in case they give you any flak) declare it as small arms ammo and have it packed properly.

Usps won't ship any hazmat items at all.

Thanks again! I went to the ups site but didn't find a thing on what can and can't be shipped. I'll try again. The USPS site was helpful.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.