Changes in 30 Years??

Mark Hampton

What are some of the most significant changes that have occured during the past 30 years in reloading?? Thank you in advance for your wisdom/experience.

What are some of the most significant changes that have occured during the past 30 years in reloading?? Thank you in advance for your wisdom/experience.

Bullet design and construction has been big, especially in the precision arena, but in general hunting too. Better brass, more powder selections. There are a lot more tools that allow a reloader to get the most/best possible accuracy whether in target or field shooting.

I second Bullet design! Heck even in the last 5 years bullets have come a long long ways. I think in one of the last Field and Streams I saw David Petzal had an article about the very subject. He basically said how its getting hard to find a bad bullet anymore. Interesting read.
Although we havent been presented the magic bullet yet hunters are getting even better selection of controlled expansion, low drag,and weight retention all wrapped into one bullet.
Imagine where we will be in 10 more years?

"...some of the most significant changes that have occured during the past 30 years in reloading?? "

Components aside, as a loader of some 45+ years I can say the most significant chages in loading has been the proliferation of excellant measurement tools at affordable prices.

Machinest's micrometers, dial indicators and calipers were expensive and therefore rare on loading benches thirty years ago. Very, very few of us had chronographs. Concentricity gages and easy to use case shoulder length tools and seating depth to the ogive tools were yet to be developed. Without them, we cound not accurately measure what we were doing so it was almost impossible for the common man to make precision ammo with any consistancy. Now it's so easy as to be almost without thought!

Other neat toys such as tumblers, neck turners, primer pocket debur and uniforming reamers, micrometer seating die heads, digital powder dumpsters, progressive and auto-indexing presses, etc, are nice but they all pale in impact on our activity compaired to today's tools to simply and accurately measure things.

Good ideas so far about the positive advancements in reloading.

One bad thing that has happened in reloading in the last few years......

ZINC WHEEL WEIGHTS!!!!

I know a lot of reloaders don't cast their bullets, and cast bullets are useless for long range, but it was nice to be able to have an almost free source of bullet material for plinking or short range hunting.

Mark,
I agree with boomtube. Although the bullets and powders have gotten and are continuing to get better, we have a lot better measuring devices now than we used to. JohnnyK.

Same as boomtube 45yr reloading.

I look at the dies we have today bushing,bodyand custom,priming tools,measuring and the list goes on.

The internet has made information more easy to get you don't have to wait for a magaizne or smoke signals.

Need a good barrel,bullet and gunsmith they have come a long way.

30 years...I have only been reloading about a third of that time, but I did the first 5 years or so with 30 year old equipment so does that count?

I vote for micrometers on everything, neck dies, powder dumps, case trimmers, seater dies. They beat the heck out of the old, loosen the nut, turn the die a hair and try it again method.

Good ideas so far about the positive advancements in reloading.

One bad thing that has happened in reloading in the last few years......

ZINC WHEEL WEIGHTS!!!!

I know a lot of reloaders don't cast their bullets, and cast bullets are useless for long range, but it was nice to be able to have an almost free source of bullet material for plinking or short range hunting.

Some BPCR shooters would beg to differ on that, but agree that zinc WWs are a scourge.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts