Change rifling in a new barrel

Jdscada

I have a Pac-Nor .228 barrel that I purchased and I questioning my decision on purchase. Only round that I can think of would be a 228 ackley magnum which would be difficult to locate bullets and brass. I love wildcats, so this is not the major issue, but I do not like scavenger hunts, struggling to find reloading parts. Can I get this barrel chambered for something else, or have barrel Re-Rifled to something else. Sorry if this seems ignorant, but I'm hoping this is the place to ask or get educated, thanks. Pac-Nor says they cannot change rifling, is this true?

Pac-Nor are high quality barrels so IMO your choice there is sound.

What twist and rifling did you choose?

I have 3 Pac-Nor barrels. On my .223 barrel, like you I wish I had gone with an 8 twist or even faster rather than the 9 twist I chose.

I am thinking heavily on rechambering to 22-250 or 22-243. Maybe even something wilder.

It's a Pac-Nor 228 cal chrome moly barrel blank,1.25"dia., 28"+ long,5 groove,8 twist. So do you all think I should keep it and try to develop it, or try to find someone to purchase it. I do not mind custom loads or fireforming, but am I limited to a 228 Ackley Magnum?

I get it. You are really talking about a .228 as in Savage Hi-Power or the Ackley Improved version.

Well then....

If you got it for a steal then reboring is financially feasable.

IIWM, get a different barrel for your project.

The twist might be a little fast for this but a feasible option to make use of the barrel and using a more easily accessible .224 cal chemberinf would be to use cast boolits and paper patch up to a little over groove diameter. There are guys using paper patch that are getting down to Moa groupings and up to the 26-2800 fps range. It takes a lot of experimentation to get there though. Might not be optimal for your plans but could make use of the barrel as is without reboring. Though if you don't already cast it could cost as much to get set up as to rebore the barrel.

Kyle

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts