Change powders or seat bullet deeper

Iron Worker

6/284 30" brux bbl 8"twist . Today shooting 105gr Berger Hybrids seated just off the rifling lands , burning two powders Re# 25 and Magpro . I was getting tight ES in velocities (10'20' between shots) with both powders but poor accuracy in this new chamber( Non neck turning chamber). Others have said Re#22 is the go to powder for this cartridge ?
Modify message

Not sure.
Sometimes seating changes can have a dramatic effect when done early on and then fine tuned with powder charge, then shaped using small seating changes.

Some loads that I initially struggled with, were improved with this approach.

Mikecr always advises tuning this way and was the reason i began doing it.

I had two seating depths for the 6mm-284 with the 105 hybrid. Very close to the lands and a huge jump. I have been using the jump as I wanted a repeater and seated to fit the wyatts mag box that was installed in the SA Rem 700. I would suggest you try seating deeper. Most of the hybrids I tried shot with a variety of seating depths.

On the other hand there are other powders that will work. Retumbo, RL-25, and RL-33 for slow ones. Heck some guys are using RL-17 with a 105. I have been running RL-33 for several years now. You will need a drop tube.

--------------------------

6mm-284: 28" SS Bartlein 5R barrel 1 in 7.5 twist

Original load: 58 gr of Retumbo, 105 Berger target hybrid seated .065" off rifling vel 3307 fps

RL-33:

61 grs vel 3274
62 grs vel 3335
62.5 gr 3376
63 gr 3414
63.5 gr 3453
64 gr 3485 fps excellent accuracy
64.5 gr 3535 a bit warm max case capacity using drop tube

There is a sticky about this very thing somewhere on here. Basically get your speed that you desire first and the work with seating depth to tighten the group. Only do one thing at a time. Hope that helps

AZ, thanks for the RL-33 notes. I began using Ramshot Magnum eons ago as my go-to powder. With my stock zero'd out & Magnum nowhere in sight around here I was looking for a different powder... Looks like I have a winner!

OP- since you've found the speed you're looking for, seating depth is pretty much the only way to get the accuracy you want/need. You could also try a few different primers but seating depth would be easier.

t

... Others have said Re#22 is the go to powder for this cartridge ?

Appears your advisers have already decided that your seating depth will work with nothing more than a powder change to Re#22. I'd have to disagree with that.
I'd recommend using something akin to the Berger seating depth test for VLDs. I shoot Hybrids - I find that the VLD test (or something close to it) is useful in finding a seating depth that works. After than I work on loads.
One last thing. IMO, nothing beginning with "Re" works well. At least I don't own a rifle that likes that stuff. My .284 likes H4831SC seated .019 off the lands. Give that a try.

Last edited:
One last thing. IMO, nothing beginning with "Re" works well......QUOTE]

& I'll have to disagree with that :D Just poking fun of course. I've had outstanding luck with the RL powders. 19 being one of my all-time favorites. 4831 would probably work but it's a good bit on the fast side for the 6mm-284.

t

One last thing. IMO, nothing beginning with "Re" works well......QUOTE]

& I'll have to disagree with that :D Just poking fun of course. I've had outstanding luck with the RL powders. 19 being one of my all-time favorites. 4831 would probably work but it's a good bit on the fast side for the 6mm-284.

t

Yeah, I'll have to disagree as well. I have had excellent results with RL17 and RL33 in several different rifles and cartridges.

6/284 30" brux bbl 8"twist . Today shooting 105gr Berger Hybrids seated just off the rifling lands , burning two powders Re# 25 and Magpro . I was getting tight ES in velocities (10'20' between shots) with both powders but poor accuracy in this new chamber( Non neck turning chamber). Others have said Re#22 is the go to powder for this cartridge ?
Modify message

I thought you were using RL33...not working for you?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.