Change a 308 into a 300WM???

isu600rr

Ok here is my Question, i am looking at getting a SVAGE [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Model 10FCP-K[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] – with AccuTrigger™, AccuStock[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif], [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]and Detachable Box Magazine its in a 308 chambering but since savage actions are bigger than most, and this is a "short action" can i change the bolt face on the bolt to a 300WM and be able to shoot both out of the same rifle?> i wold have to get a diff barrel too wouldnt i?[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

i ask this ? bc i cant find the rifle in a 300wm for sale but the local store has the 308.. now i would mostly be shooting 300 yards so the 308 would plenty but i like the idea of the extra power and KE if i were to use it hunting, deer, elk possibly and prong horn, and hogs. any thoughts ?

Problem would be your starting with a short action. The 300 mag would not feed from the mag and you could only single feed. You would have to remove the bolt to eject a loaded round from the chamber. Flip that around and use a long action in 300 win mag, and you would still have problems. Feed lips to wide for a 308. So you would need a pair of boxes and a pair of bolt heads and a pair of barrels, action wrench and barrel vise. Just go buy 2 guns and save yourself alot of grief, or buy a 7mm mag and be happy.

Call savage and ask to talk to someone in the custom shop an they will give you the details over the phone an build time with a deposit an your local gun store or ffl it will be so easy even a caveman can do it....................lightbulb

what you want to do is fiesable if you choose the 300WSM instead of the 300WM - performance is identicle anyways... whats the big deal? then you short action is fine...

Sure, you can do it.

I believe AJ Peacock was shooting a 338 Edge barrel on his short action Savage target action.

$300 for a good new barrel and about $50 for a new bolt head. Another $50 in tools and you will be heading down the road to barrel swappin paradise.

I've got two Savage long actions that I run all my barrels on. One has a Douglas 22-250AI barrel on it and the other has a Shilen 7mmWSM. Hmmm..long actions feeding short action rounds, yes it can work. Just takes some tweeking.

Sure, you can do it.

I believe AJ Peacock was shooting a 338 Edge barrel on his short action Savage target action.

Actually I started with a standard 300wsm Savage. I ordered the Edge barrel (same boltface for wsm and Edge/Rum) before I saw how good the 300wsm shot, otherwise I probably would have just stayed with the wsm and built an Edge on another action. So now, I have 2 barrels that absolutely shoot lights out.

I haven't hunted with the 300wsm, but that cartridge has definitely impressed me.

AJ

Only downside to the RSAUM is the smaller case capacity and lack of brass manufacturers. But, easily a step up from 308.

Not as small as one might think; don't go by its case volume'.., it's a great design. I shot one for quite a few years as a 1k rifle. Using Sierra's 190gr Mk, well; it will do all that's needed, pushing it to 3100 fps from a 28/30 inch barrel'...., without all the powder and the accuracy of a good target/tactical .308 Win. And if you just happen to be an auto loader guy, it works very well in the gas guns; as does the .308 Win/7.62x51 Nato
By the way you can go to Midway and buy brass today 500 count and more for it. I don't think finding brass is not going to be a problem for it right away.
If you're shooting a.30 cal'..., and like the caliber, this one and it's little brother; the 7mm RSAUM are two cartridges worth a second look.

Not as small as one might think; don't go by its case volume'.., it's a great design. I shot one for quite a few years as a 1k rifle. Using Sierra's 190gr Mk, well; it will do all that's needed, pushing it to 3100 fps from a 28/30 inch barrel'...., without all the powder and the accuracy of a good target/tactical .308 Win. And if you just happen to be an auto loader guy, it works very well in the gas guns; as does the .308 Win/7.62x51 Nato
By the way you can go to Midway and buy brass today 500 count and more for it. I don't think finding brass is not going to be a problem for it right away.
If you're shooting a.30 cal'..., and like the caliber, this one and it's little brother; the 7mm RSAUM are two cartridges worth a second look.

I understand that the differences are not large, but there is a bit more available capacity in the WSM.

I was talking about being able to use Norma, Win, Federal, and Rem brass. I've also heard a rumor of Lapua considering WSM brass. Just a rumor.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.