Chan nagel 17 Cal coyote update

bobcat trapper

So far Ive only got a chance to shoot two coyotes with chans t-000 25gr bullets at 4030 fps. First coyote came in stopped broadside punched him right behind the should he spun twice and ran at least 250 yards and i gave up tracking him never recovered. 2nd coyote came in shot right behind the shoulder same story didn't recover him tracked about 100 and lost it both shots were about 75 yards. I haven't gave up on them yet they shot so good i hate to give up on them but they act like the Berger match bullets for me pencil though turns out a coyote can go a long ways with a 17cal hole in him. I'm not posting this to be criticized about loosing two coyotes it happens and sucks when it does. I really can't figure out whats going on with the bullets everything i read says there the ticket but two coyotes isn't much of a test.

I havent used chans bullet, I do shoot the 25 gr berger match targets. The people who do shoot a lot of chans bullets say they perform as good ad the match targets.

I run my berger load @3990-4000. Ive never had a runner with a solid hit. Ive shot a couple hundred with my 17 rem with this load. With a chest shot they are usually DRT in the scope befor you even register the sound of the shot

It could have been the bullet, but is it possible you didnt actually hit them where u think?. I ask this cuz the only times ive ever had coyotes spin and run with my 17rem were with marginal shots that clipped them somewhere non-lethal. Even gut shots flatten them.

Did you chroni your loads? I ask cuz, the other time I had trouble was when my scale was throwing light loads, I had a 10-15 coyote run where they wouldnt drop, but I found my velocities were low and were most likly the affecting bullet performance at the 150-250 yard range I was shooting.

I'm driving the 25 V-Max at about 3450 out of my XP-100 17 FB, with no problems. Haven't lost any that were shot in the vitals to about 250-300ish.

I've yet to shoot any with the Nagel bullets yet as I'm still working on getting my Hammett 27.5's shot up... I'm shooting the 30gr Nagel bullets but so far with my 17 Rem I've dropped the 250 for yotes! the 17 Rem does a much better job and not as messy :) Later,

Kirk

They are different in multiple respects but the trajectory is similar and being a 17 cal. If my 17HMR takes hogs with head shots all day out to 200 yards why shouldn't the 17Rem?

Trajectory is similar? Hmr head shots to 200? First comment is ignorant. Second comment is fictitious.

Good luck with those assertions. I'm sure I'm not going to be the last to comment on this bs.

So far Ive only got a chance to shoot two coyotes with chans t-000 25gr bullets at 4030 fps. First coyote came in stopped broadside punched him right behind the should he spun twice and ran at least 250 yards and i gave up tracking him never recovered. 2nd coyote came in shot right behind the shoulder same story didn't recover him tracked about 100 and lost it both shots were about 75 yards. I haven't gave up on them yet they shot so good i hate to give up on them but they act like the Berger match bullets for me pencil though turns out a coyote can go a long ways with a 17cal hole in him. I'm not posting this to be criticized about loosing two coyotes it happens and sucks when it does. I really can't figure out whats going on with the bullets everything i read says there the ticket but two coyotes isn't much of a test.

Two things; One.. Pick another spot on the dog, Two.. See if you can find some old Remington factory 25gr bullets out there.. Shooting dog's with a .17 Rem at 250 yards is a chip shot. I've kill a lot of Yotes with a .17 Rem under 300 yards and it really didn't make much difference where I hit them, even a Texas heart shot was golden, they went down, and few traveled far, by far I mean a few yards. The only shot I didn't like taking was face on, into the chest when they had their winter fur.

In any case if your getting bullets in them at 250 yards with your muzzle vel's of 4030 fps and their walking on you, there something else going on.
Good luck, good hunting.

I'm shooting a factory 700 bdl. I lost two more coyotes the same story so i decided enough of that game for now and went to a CZ 222 Remington running 50gr tnts haven't had any issues. Those nagging about shot placement one was chest shot coming to the call the other was broadside held behind the should and let it fly both under 150. I understand the head neck shot thing that's a no brainier i kill them all the time with a 22 short in traps. If a guy calling can shoot one in the head neck all the time your a better shot than i am. I used to shoot Berger match bullets and they flattened them even not hit so great and imo if you do enough calling your going to hit one bad once in awhile it happens or at least to me. I'm staying with the old 222 for now though.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.