Chamber Ream and Free bore separate reams?

[QUOTE="Mram10us, post: 1854482, The other night I lengthened the throat on a 300wsm I've been toying with and cut it longer than I wanted while watching youtube. Oh, and the stop was sitting next to my desk because I didn't want to mess with it. Dumb. We'll see if she still shoots

I did the same oops on a factory model 70 300wsm. The gun now shoots better than it ever has, .180 jump with 180 accubonds
[/QUOTE]
Hopefully I can find out today. I have plenty of data from the old length. My goal was to use every bit of the tikka mag for my wsm :)

Send them my way :)
The kids 7th anniversary next weekend, [together 12 years] My gift if holding the fort with grand-kids so they can have a nice date.. ((Nothing puts your mind at ease, so you can shoot, like knowing you are not the First call when things need fixing for those you love.))

These are long settled and happy where they are.

Thank you all again for the input, ( An old Turkish Mauser action has been in my stuff for going on 20 years) I have collected a 30-06 ream in my travels.
Recently 338-06 A squared has turned me on. Green mountain barrel has raw barrels cheap. Boyd stock, this has no wood.
Fit for me, by me, 200+ yard truck hammer. ....
***Becoming a member was not because I'm an expert, but helping t pay for this wonderful resource we share so nicely managed. Thank LRH admin this month, things are about to get busy.

Last edited:
The kids 7th anniversary next weekend, [together 12 years] My gift if holding the fort with grand-kids so they can have a nice date.. ((Nothing puts your mind at ease, so you can shoot, like knowing you are not the First call when things need fixing for those you love.))

These are long settled and happy where they are.
**I do know a fine man who is a Diesel / industrial equipment mechanic. Good looking, never married, early 30s. has a son that's 3.
Good for them. Nice to hear. I jest because everyone wants someone to true up their lathe for free. I need to upgrade my setup again just because

I think its more of a pain than anything else. Two steps instead of having it ground into the chamber reamer. If the setup is good, there is no worry about being off center. I found it easy to lengthen if you have a dummy round to work off of. However, without one, I don't think I would want to try.

Throating reamers available at Brownells.
I like Clymer, no experience with the cheaper Mason.
I tried to provide a link but the system thinks that was spam......................

we built a 30 xc with 220 freebore and were not happy we there the performance 3050 at pressure 118 grains 20n29 ran a borerider reamer and gained 7 grains of powder vel to 3240 with 245 eol bullet

The average reamer from Kiff is $160. A set of head space gauges is $99. So for 1 reamer that only cuts 1 length throat is $259 before you pay shipping. I myself have over $4000 worth of reamers. It isn't cost effective to have the multiples of same caliber reamer with different throat lengths to accommodate all the different brands, styles and weights of bullets out there. One guy wants a 6BR to shoot light weight varmint bullets and another guy wants it to shoot 115 grain bullets. That's why we use a throater and a dummy round with the bullet seated in the case where the customer wants it. It isn't that hard to do once you know how to approach it using the dummy round as a gauge and the proper size pilot.

If you look at Greg Tannels reamer list, it appears he cuts the chamber, neck, and throat in three separate steps.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.