Chamber cut a few thousandths too deep

I'll mark the barrel 338-06 .003 DEEP...lol. Just kidding. I guess you guys are going to make me buy a barrel vise.

Did you ever say which action your using?

I use two b lo cks of wood in my big vice to hold the barrel. Took 4x4 drilled a 1" or 7/8" hole through it then split it on my miter saw. Wrap the barrel with self adhesive sand paper to help it grip the wood. Spin it off with an action wrench.

I've used that method to break down a couple M48 mausers and Savage actions.

My comment goes back to the very first post and JE's post. The first post said adding the .003 locked the bolt up, JE's post mentioned just feel the bolt. My understanding is that correct use of the head space gage is just feel it drag and not use the cam action of the bolt to force it shut. With no gage in the chamber a stripped bolt should close due to its own weight, with a chamber gage just touching the bolt face the weight of the bolt alone won't close it or it will be noticeably slower closing.

If by locked up you mean you couldn't force the bolt shut, I think you should re-check the feel of a stripped bolt on your chamber gage.

Jeff

Go gage, a bolt will close on the gage with or without the ejector removed.
Field gage, the bolt will not close, if it does the chamber is longer than SAMMI spec
No-go is just that, you can't close the bolt on one, if you do you have excessive head space

338-06. The OCD part of me wants to fix it, but I don't own an action wrench and barrel vise yet. I do know how to fix this mistake, because I did the exact same thing on an 03 Springfield in 35 Whelen a couple years ago when I was working for the gunsmith I used to work for. Mauser is an easier fix, don't have to recut the angle, just 2 flat face cuts. My only reason for not wanting to fix it is the field gauge would not go, what does a headspace gauge marked field represent?
The field gauge is the one that the action should not close on at all. Ever.

The no go guage is used for shops that cut chambers. It is to hold them to a higher standard of quality.

Ptg explains this on the page with any headspace gauge they sell. I just replaced a lost bolt on a rifle for my cousin and the chamber was the same as yours. The no go gauge would let the bolt close with resistance, but the field gauge wouldn't go.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.