Chamber choice for XP-100

I am not a 35 Remington fan, for the kind of shooting/hunting I do.
The 6.5x47 Lapua is a sweet little cartridge. Appreciate your response.
E

I've also shot .357AutoMag using the same action and extractor. I had the barrel & chamber set-up to shoot it as a true .358" caliber; and not .357" cal.
That helped a whole bunch on potential bullet choices. I used the gun on groundhogs out to 350yd ( longest shot I happened to take w/ it in that application ).
Super-accurate, and a real hoot ! 5-shot 300yd groups @ 5/8" multiple times .
357Mag
Great Shooting!

Can't do a PRC, wrong bolt face

And that much powder would not work well in short barrel.

Dasher or or 6.5 x47 will prob be the ticket.
my Pops runs a 300 wsm out of a 14" savage.. she runs just fine and ends up at 30-06 rifle speeds... I'm currently running a 22-250 on my savage but have a 7-08 barrel ready to play when I feel like it...

I also am not really a 35 rem fan in a pistol. I had a contender in 35 rem that would do really well with 200 grain rn pills and rl12 at 100 yards; by 200 yards she was out of gas and dropping like a rock. I moved my contenders in trade for my first 7stw and never really looked back. I might revisit with an encore in 30-06 or similar at some point though.

Last edited:
Have a encore 16" barrel in 338 mag. Runs 185 barnes at 2850fps. Using a 160 barnes it will smoke at 3150fps. This is a pistol, it's like having a mini earth quake in your hand, but is fun!

Just finished cutting the barrel down to 16"
IMG_2226.jpg

Got to put her back together next week.

I say go with the 6.5x284. Same bolt size, .284 brass is easy to get and lots of horsepower for the 6.5 bullets for going way out there if that is what you are into.
I had one in a Encore and my next XP build will most likely be the 6.5x284. I have a .284 XP100, a .284 Encore and several 6.5 contenders and a 260 XP.
I know it's close to the .260 except when you get into the 140grn. bullets and heavier.
I just like the .284 brass and ease of loading.
Mike

Randy, nice looking XP. Is that a McMillan stock? When you get to Oklahoma, where will you be located? Are you bringing your equipment to do barrels? I'm in Central OK. I have an XP action that would look good with that 6.5 barrel. HAH:)
Give me a shout if you are centrally located and we could shoot at the range I'm a member of near Norman, OK right off of I-35. I have hunted with Ernie in Wyoming and he and some of the others around there know what they are talking about when it comes to long or short range with Specialty pistols.
Mike

Randy, nice looking XP. Is that a McMillan stock? When you get to Oklahoma, where will you be located? Are you bringing your equipment to do barrels? I'm in Central OK. I have an XP action that would look good with that 6.5 barrel. HAH:)
Give me a shout if you are centrally located and we could shoot at the range I'm a member of near Norman, OK right off of I-35. I have hunted with Ernie in Wyoming and he and some of the others around there know what they are talking about when it comes to long or short range with Specialty pistols.
Mike

Hello Mike,

Sorry for the delay getting back to you, been burried getting ready for this move. Packing up a 4000 ft house and shop is not a easy task.

Yes, I am moving all my equipment with me. The lathe I have now is not tight enough to do barrel work. Currently I do it on a buddies lathe here in So Cal. I have a good friend in Midwest City that has a good lathe and he does really nice work. He is a Master Machinist.

I just happen to have two new Bartlin 6.5 7.5 twist barrels that I am bringing with me. They would be perfect for a XP, in CM or 6.5x47 Lapua.

My plan is after we get settled in, I will purchasing a new lathe for my shop.

I am sending you a PM with my contact information.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.