Challenge: How far from aiming point was your worst shot of the day?

Joe-boy

Hi all, thought I'll start a topic to challenge everyone to realistically estimate what kind of targets we are able to hit. I know there's a lot of folks with incredible shooting skills and super accurate rifles as well as us regular folks with regular rifles. I think the question in the topic is far more important when it comes to hunting than what was the group size :)

DO NOT exclude flyers, pulled shot etc; include each and every hole, and feel free to post a new reply after each range visit! Feel free to speculate about why something happened and what if it wouldn't have happened, but don't post pictures of your best groups excluding the rest. There's enough threads for that.

So please check the targets from your last trip to the range or use this as an excuse to go shooting, and let us know for each gun/cartridge you were shooting the following facts. I'll start; I know there's nothing spectacular in these, but this is not a competition but more a question of how honest and realistic you dare to be.

Setup: CZ 527 Varmint .223, Meopta 4-16x44, hand-loaded Nosler CC 52 gr
Shooting position: Prone, bipod, rear bag
Rounds fired: 13
Distance: 100 meters
How far from aiming point was the worst one: 35 mm
Speculations and comments: For some reason one hole was off the group. Excluding that the 12 shot group would be 26 mm with the worst being 19 mm off the aiming point.

Setup: CZ 527 Varmint .223, Meopta 4-16x44, hand-loaded V-max 53 gr
Rounds fired: 8
How far from aiming point was the worst one: 15 mm
Speculations and comments: This went pretty nicely.

Setup: Tikka M65, .30-06, Zeiss 3-12x56, hand-loaded TTSX 150 gr
Rounds fired: 3
How far from aiming point was the worst one: 23 mm
Speculations and comments: Only wanted to check the zero, so only three shots fired. Accurate enough for what this is used for within ~250 meter range.

Setup: Tikka T1x .17 HMR, ancient 3-9x50 scope, Hornady XTP
Rounds fired: 5
How far from aiming point was the worst one: 31 mm
Speculations and comments: Checking the zero. Not as accurate as I would like it to be, but does the trick within 100 meter range.

Memorable worst shot:
Hawken 50, deer camp, shooting at a target on a poplar tree. The way it kicked compared to my Lyman trade rifle, it was probably >100gr of powder. The ~2" poplar tree two feet to the left of the target exploded (i.e. trunk ruptured in splinters) and fell over.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.