CFE223 in cold weather??

Wow!!! That's serious change! I know extreme cold does make steel shrink. Sauer super cools its barrel and presses them into the action on some, if not all of their rifles. Got two of them , wondering what happens when its shot out.
We discussed this at length on a thread I started called "reverse temp sensitivity"

I learned from others on that discussion that the thermal expansion ratios for copper and lead are higher than for steel. So yeah if you put a warm round from your pocket into a cold rifle at 30 below it'd be pressure time. But if they're all at the same temp should still drop pressure in the cold.

Yes, the ARcomp works very well for me in my AR. I would also suggest TAC, I'm using that in my little Cooper 223AI with great results. Both of those are noted as being fairly insensitive to temps.

I have CFE in a criterion 223 rem prefit that I'm going to test on 75 ELD Ms this next week and I'll share my experience next week. Not sure cartridge you're shooting … assuming 223 rem or AI maybe 22CM or 22-250… it's 26" but I think I went with the 7 twist (I'll have to verify) and live in E Idaho. Mine loves 24.8 or 24.9 Varget with 205m and Lapua brass so I'll be able to diagnose the difference on it… however I don't have the experience of the CFE in warmer weather as I've not tried it but I'll be able to confirm if group is good or bad. I'm right at 3,000 mv but very accurate w Varget.
Sorry gents, was going to try to get some cfe load work done this week but am headed to Boise the next couple of days and will have to get to it next week.

From all the jabber on temp sensitivity, makes me wonder what all is so good about all these "new" powders? There was a point when there was two or three rifle powders, one or two pistol powders and then some shotgun/pistol powders.

About like me going to get an adult beverage. The selection is overwhelming and I can't make up my mind, end result is the same for the most part if one over indulges, lol.

I will keep using 748,H335 and CFE223

From all the jabber on temp sensitivity, makes me wonder what all is so good about all these "new" powders? There was a point when there was two or three rifle powders, one or two pistol powders and then some shotgun/pistol powders.

About like me going to get an adult beverage. The selection is overwhelming and I can't make up my mind, end result is the same for the most part if one over indulges, lol.

I will keep using 748,H335 and CFE223
No joke I went to this cool restaurant in Ottawa on our honeymoon…"pub italia" it was a weird hybrid between an Italian restaurant and an Irish pub. They had a "beer Bible" on each table, over 300 different beers yiu could choose from…I ended up getting overwhelmed and drinking coffee!

I have used CFE223 for a few years to hunt chucks from the end of March to the end of July here in Idaho. I have 26 inch 8 twist barrels and shoot 75 gr Hornady ELDMs. The CFE223 has been a great powder for me. I just replaced one of my 223 barrels with a new 8 twist Criterion barrel and can't get that thing to shoot. Velocities and groups are all over the place. A friend who used to be a competition shooter has suggested that perhaps the CFE is not good when the outside temps hit the teens and low 20's. Chuck season usually varies from about 35 to 90 and it burns well though that temp range. I have some hunting loads from last season that are charged with AR-COMP behind 77g STMKs so tomorrow I'm going to try those and I've loaded up some of my annealed Lapua brass with the AR-Comp and the ELDMs. Hopefully I will finally be able to prove that this barrel will shoot.
Has anyone here had experience with CFE223 in low temps?
I have found 4895 imr or H to shoot well through all temps and here in canada we get pretty cold. I shoot 75 eldms with 2920 ft/ second, 41.5 grains of H version right nown. We never shoot less than 600 yards, mostly 800 but do shoot 1000 on reasonably nice days and we shoot most every day from mid april till it gets to cold for fun in october, then its hit and miss.

I have found 4895 imr or H to shoot well through all temps and here in canada we get pretty cold. I shoot 75 eldms with 2920 ft/ second, 41.5 grains of H version right nown. We never shoot less than 600 yards, mostly 800 but do shoot 1000 on reasonably nice days and we shoot most every day from mid april till it gets to cold for fun in october, then its hit and miss.
I may have a pound of 4895 in my stock. Think I will give it a try. Is there much difference between H and IMR?
Thanks!!

I hate to be, the Bearer of BAD News,..
But,. SMALL Flash Holes and Small Primers,.. DON'T "work" very well,.. in Idaho Winters !
IT ain't, the Criterion's Barrel's,.. Fault !
I'd Re-chamber to, something with,.. Large Primers
I have many criterion and shilen barrels and changed several of my cartridges I shoot over to small rifle primer (22, 6, 25 & 6.5 CM) to SRP but worked up loads for 450 primers which I've shot thousands of rounds the last couple of years in E Idaho and never a hang fire or anything else.

I have read a few places of tests (Tubb being the most informative) with small vs large and it seems the general consensus is that large is better but not by what I would consider any big spread. If I could find large rifle the past couple years with regularity I wouldn't have changed out my brass and now keep enough 450s on hand I can shoot as much as I want.

I have actually experienced the opposite effect in some of my loads but haven't kept enough control to give any scientific outcome on my loads as I've had to work up again with the small primers. But I was able to shrink my ES on one or two (25 creed being one of them) of the CM cases and the others it felt like a wash.

Only a SMALL Percentage of Reloader's, have "Problems" with, STANDARD Small Primers and, the # 450 Primers "Seem" to Be, the,.. Cure.
I've stored enough Large Primers to, last Me, quite a few Years and they,.. ALWAYS,. Go,.. Bang !
When Windy and COLD,.. I shoot, a 6 XC with, Berger 95's, StaBall 65 and F-210 M's, going, 3,100 FPS for, Yotes and with,.. NO "poofft's" for, Me
Glad that, the #450's are working, for You !

Last edited:
Only a SMALL Percentage of Reloader's, have "Problems" with, STANDARD Small Primers and, the # 450 Primers "Seem" to Be, the,.. Cure.
I've stored enough Large Primers to, last Me, quite a few Years and they,.. ALWAYS,. Go,.. Bang !
When Windy and COLD,.. I shoot, a 6 XC with, Berger 95's, StaBall 65 and F-210 M's, going, 3,100 FPS for, Yotes and with,.. NO "poofft's" for, Me
Glad that, the #450's are working, for You !
This is interesting. I've had better luck with 205s than 450s with 223CFE with regard to mitigating temp sensitivity, hangfires and ES.

This is interesting. I've had better luck with 205s than 450s with 223CFE with regard to mitigating temp sensitivity, hangfires and ES.
I've also had, NO Problem's with, shooting W-W 748, in my .223 with,.. Federal 205's.
NOT everyone is, having,.. "Issues" just, a SMALL Percentage and with,.. "some",.. Powders.
So far, IMR 3031, both, 4895's and WW 748, seem to work Fine for Me with, Fed 205's in, .223 in,.. Extreme Cold.
The OP, has,.. HAD,. "Problems" with,. CFE .223

Last edited: