CFE223, 2000-MR in 308. School me please....

Michael Eichele

The rifle range, or archery range or behind the co
Well guys, I am always interested in trying something new but time has been tight this year and I'm slowly getting back into the range time. Anyway, I read about guys running CFE 223 and 2000-MR powders in the 308 Win. What has been your experiences? Bullet weights? Velocity? Finicky? Temp sensitive? Fouling? Extreme spreads? Load density?

Anyway, I'm just looking to see if they're worth the time and money. I'd only be using either for 185-210 grain pills.

Thank you in advance!

Regards,

M

I just loaded up a bunch of 308 and 7mm-08 with CFE223 after repeatedly seeing it on the top (even above Varget) for velocity vs. pressure within loading data. I'm optimistic and will report.

I bought CFE 223 for use in my .223 and 22-250. I am just getting started with it, but it shows promise. I toyed with it in .375 H&H with Barnes bullets and may revisit that effort later. There, again, it showed promise, but needs more evaluation.

I saw a comment in another thread where someone was recommending CFE 223 over RL-17 for the 208 AMAX in .308. At first blush, I thought that to be absurd. Being very close to BLC-2, I figured that CFE 223 would only be useful in .308 with 150 grain and lighter bullets. However, QL has CFE 223 within 50 fps of RL-17, at the highest OBT predicted accuracy node, with the 208 AMAX from a 26" barrel. Could be worth a look. I have seen reports that CFE 223 is very temp sensitive, but have not verified that claim myself.

This whole thing also has me curious to try Hodgdon Superformance with this combo. Too bad it is not a powder supported by QL. I would have to work with it the old fashioned way.:D

I have an unopened jug I bought to load in my .223. I have not had a QL update in a while. I need to get one with, sure I'm missing some of the newer powders. No experience yet with CFE, but plan to start testing early next year.

Well guys, I am always interested in trying something new but time has been tight this year and I'm slowly getting back into the range time. Anyway, I read about guys running CFE 223 and 2000-MR powders in the 308 Win. What has been your experiences? Bullet weights? Velocity? Finicky? Temp sensitive? Fouling? Extreme spreads? Load density?

Anyway, I'm just looking to see if they're worth the time and money. I'd only be using either for 185-210 grain pills.

Thank you in advance!

Regards,

M

I shoot the 185 Juggernaut out of a 28" Bartlein 1:11.25. With 47.2 grains of PP2000MR I'm getting 2830 fps with SD of 6. This is 15 shots through an Oehler 35p.
Shooting lapua brass and a FGM210M. It's about 1.1 fps per degree at the very most.
It's an accurate load. Take it out to 1200 yards all the time.

I'm glad you guys are having success. I tried it but I have a very finicky 223 and it didn't work out.

Now I'm interested in trying it in a different caliber.

I shoot the 185 Juggernaut out of a 28" Bartlein 1:11.25. With 47.2 grains of PP2000MR I'm getting 2830 fps with SD of 6. This is 15 shots through an Oehler 35p.
Shooting lapua brass and a FGM210M. It's about 1.1 fps per degree at the very most.
It's an accurate load. Take it out to 1200 yards all the time.

Impressive. That being the case, I wonder if I could get the 185 Classic Hunter or 185 Hunting VLD up to about 2700 in my 24" 5R, might be good to 1000 & for Deer out to 6-700 / May look into that.

I'm glad you guys are having success. I tried it but I have a very finicky 223 and it didn't work out.

Now I'm interested in trying it in a different caliber.

what weight bullet or bullets did you try? was this an ar rig or bolt gun?

thanks

Impressive. That being the case, I wonder if I could get the 185 Classic Hunter or 185 Hunting VLD up to about 2700 in my 24" 5R, might be good to 1000 & for Deer out to 6-700 / May look into that.

Shouldn't be a problem. The classic hunter is VERY similar to the juggernaut. I have a GAP Crusader with a 22" Bartlein 1:11.25 that I shoot the 185 vlds with. With 46.5 grains I am getting 2650 fps. And that's not even close to being that hot a load. So I'd say you can EASILY get 2700 fps.

what weight bullet or bullets did you try? was this an ar rig or bolt gun?

thanks
40grn V-Max is the only thing this rifle will shoot. Bolt gun. Shoots them very well but with only one load.

I am encouraged to try CFE and 2000-MR in other calibers.

Years ago, my pet load for my 24"5R factory 308 was the 190 SMK at 2657'sec. As a general rule of thumb, you can gain 50'sec per 5 grains of bullet. There are exceptions to every rule but it's a fair guideline. I'm sure with at least a couple powders and probably several, 2700' is easily in reach for the 185 and your barrel.

M

Ive pushed the 215 up into the 2500-2550 range with cfe 223. I had good accuraccy and some more room to go but i decided against pursuing it when my high end charges were only filling the case a little more than half way.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.