CFE 223 in 308 Win

I have started using the CFE223 as well. Did you do any temp varying work? Have you seen any pressure issues with the different temps?

I would be worried about the temp swings where I am.

I have started using the CFE223 as well. Did you do any temp varying work? Have you seen any pressure issues with the different temps?

I would be worried about the temp swings where I am.

Very little temp swings probably the best temp powder you could use.
Does burn hotter a high energy powder.
46.0 with 168 gr sure does shoot good in my 20"
Be careful when you get close to max pressures rise quick.
My go to powder now for my Rem 700 in 308 Win .

I tried it in my cz550 varmint. Accuracy was good but its a high energy powder and very little charge weight between ok pressure and oh crap. I that's hot pressure. I went back to imr4064

For the last couple of years I have used cfe 223 extensively, and have been very pleased. However, a couple of observations: like others, it seems to have a sharp pressure curve upward when pressures rise abruptly. Surprisingly, this is lower than what is posted frequently as a "max" amount, even on generally conservative sites, such as Hodgdon's itself. I am getting phenomenal accuracy out of a pre 64 Winchester 308 with a stock barrel from 1953: easily less than 0.5 MOA for 3 shot groups at 100 yds., with a 150 gr. Nosler partition, using 50.5 gr., 2.800, Fed 210 match primer. I have gotten better groups with the 150's than the 165 gr Partitions. Have had very good luck also with the Berger 168 classic hunter using 46.7gr giving best results, but still not as accurate as the 150gr Partitions surprisingly.

My 308 Win with 152 HH is only 47gr at 2828 FPS in a 20 inch barrel. Lapua case and CCI 250.

Not as fast as I wanted but accurate. This bullet really wanted a little jump in this rifle.

I like IMR 4064. It's a stick powder fills the case well, I shoot on the low side. I see you like speed also this powder doesn't meter as well as others. I don't reload a lot at a time 30 - 50 tops. I take my time with every case. Charge with the ChargeMaster 1500 and double check with the GemPro 250 for close to exact as possible. When reloading 30 rounds its no big deal. Volume is a different story.

Any suggestions for 124gr Hammer Hunter & CFE 223 in .308?? The closest thing I can find is Hodgdon data for 130gr SPR HP. I'm thinking I can get a little more charge than with the 130

Any suggestions for 124gr Hammer Hunter & CFE 223 in .308?? The closest thing I can find is Hodgdon data for 130gr SPR HP. I'm thinking I can get a little more charge than with the 130

You won't be able to get enough of it in the case to get into trouble - you'll need a bit faster powder if you are chasing top velocities.

Ramshot Tac has been really good for me with the 125's - haven't tried the Hammers yet though

53gr of CFE 223 had an ejector mark the case head; this was not compressed so yeah, you could find trouble with CFE223 :)
Backed off to 52.5 and 4 shots give me 12.6 SD with 3273 avg FPS. Group was not great but I wasn't shooting for the best group. The four shots were right after copper removal.

53gr of CFE 223 had an ejector mark the case head; this was not compressed so yeah, you could find trouble with CFE223 :)
Backed off to 52.5 and 4 shots give me 12.6 SD with 3273 avg FPS. Group was not great but I wasn't shooting for the best group. The four shots were right after copper removal.

Wow, impressive velocities too. Checked my notes, I was getting compression around 50gr. What overall length are you using?

Last edited:
Wow, impressive velocities too. Checked my notes, I was getting compression around 50gr. What overall length are you using?
2.210 CBTO; -.007" off the lands
Didn't get a COAL
I had loaded up to 54gr and started to get a light compression there. I however pulled bullets from 53gr to 54 after i got ejector marks at 53.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.